Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SketchUp image import resolution variable?

I have a nice hi-res site topo as a .JPG that I'd like to bring in to SketchUp, scale and use as the basis for a terrain model. The default max texture size is making my crisp map nice and blurry...

I remember there being a way around this that I read here before, but can't for the life of me find it on PPB or Google. My searching powers are failing me today.

Anyone remember the tip to increase the allowed resolution in SketchUp, or other smart workarounds to get higher res images in?

SU can import big-size JPEGs and retain the image internally, but displays 1024 x 1024 pixel image maximum.
    In order to maintain the image quality on screen, you either have to chop up the image into smaller pieces or resize it so that it becomes smaller than 1024 x 1024 pixels.

EDIT: You may not call those obvious methods "workarounds", but I dont know any other exist nor could I find any in the official forum.
    Last edited by takesh h; 24-01-2008, 16:30.

Comment

That's what I'm experiencing, but I'm pretty sure there was the possibility to turn that up to 2048x2048 via some kind of tweak before. Maybe it was a SU5 option. Searched high and low and couldn't find it again, but my searching is a bit limited today by our very flakey SDSL line.

Comment

2048? That is a very special number, it should turn up something... yes it did.

Inserting Image (2005/7/28)- SketchUp Pro Help Group

Jim Holman:
        Just a day or so ago, I asked if there were any updates on this issue in 5. There are.

A full history:
        Actually the OpenGL limit is 2048 x 2048. When SketchUp was Windows only SketchUp had that limit. When SketchUp came out on OS X we found that many of the older Macs (of 3 or so years ago) wouldn't display raster images if they were higher than 1024 x 1024. So SketchUp was changed to use 1024 x 1024. Exactly why the code was changed on Windows is something no one has been able to answer for me. Through release 4 both platforms had the 1024 x 1024 limit. There were requests to move it back & I logged that to be done. Bjorn, in particular, wanted this done. It was done in SketchUp 5, so the optimum resolution is 2048 x 2048 in Windows SketchUp & 1024 x 1024 on OS X SketchUp. At some point we will need to build an OS X version of SketchUp that uses the 2048 x 2048 limit & test it thoroughly to see if it is feasible to bump the limit up on OS X.

Shadi,
        If you use an image with a pixel depth greater than the above limits SketchUp will try to sample it down to those limits. Unfortunately the algorith that does that is not doing a very good job of it. The image will get increasingly blurry at higher pixel depths.

I tested it with SU6 on Mac and it did change resolution from an inserted 2048x2048 image to somethig smaller, but it wasn't that bad.
        Strange thing is, I also tested SU6 on Windows XP and it did the same (changed the image quality). I'm comparing it to a 1024x1024 image on SU6, so I'm pretty sure. A 1024x1024 image on SU6 looks really crisp.
        Maybe we should ask about this again to Jim Hallman.

Comment

Thanks again Takesh, 2 minutes, that was a fast response!

So the trick was actually just to resize the image to 2048 to begin with to avoid resampling if I'm reading that right. Seems right, I played with this a year or so ago for the Ras-Al-Khaimah model I made and just couldn't remember the trick.

In the meantime I found another way around it - I inserted the large image (whole site + quite a bit of space around it). Then cropped out a bit in the middle of the image where I needed better res and inserted that separately on top of the other image. Not a brilliant workaround, but it got the job done.

Will try and insert a 2048x2048 image vs 1024x1024 and see what happens.

*On SU6.0 (6.4.120) OSX

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmern View Post
            In the meantime I found another way around it - I inserted the large image (whole site + quite a bit of space around it). Then cropped out a bit in the middle of the image where I needed better res and inserted that separately on top of the other image. Not a brilliant workaround, but it got the job done.
            What exactly did you do? How did you "crop" out the image?
            Looks like the limit for SU6 on OSX is 1024x1024 for me.

Comment

To crop for higher res where I needed it I opened the large image in photoshop and cropped out a smaller section in the middle that was just the site in order to get best possible resolution there. Had I known about the 1024x1024 then it probably would have turned out even better. I inserted that bit, and scaled according to the grid-lines in the image. Then inserted the larger image and scaled to fit as best as I could by lining it up with the more detailed part, which is okay as it will just serve as background.

A bit of good old-fashioned tracing of contour lines and I was done. I used 1m contours on the site itself and went to 2m and 5m contours gradually as I was outside of the site area.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Jimmern; 28-01-2008, 10:14.

Comment

Here is an image of the site model straight out of sandbox, it needs some editing here and there, but is more than good enough for initial volumetric studies.

This site is on the north-west coast of norway. The program is for a holiday cabin/yoga-retreat. A project which I will post more about once things start to progress. New office, new jobs, good fun.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Jimmern; 28-01-2008, 10:13.

Comment

Jimmern., that does look like an interesting site. Good luck and keep us up to date. Holiday cabin/yoga retreat?! I could use all of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmern View Post
                    That's what I'm experiencing, but I'm pretty sure there was the possibility to turn that up to 2048x2048 via some kind of tweak before. Maybe it was a SU5 option.
                    Just found out what the trick is all about from SketchUcation (Thanks to remus).
                    This is only good for SU7 though.
                    You go to [Preferences] - [OpenGL] - Check [Use maximum texture size], and BOOOOM!
                    SU now can accept the largest textures your graphics card supports.

Comment

Dam I wished I could have chimmed in earlier and cleared that up before you guys had to do all the searching!

Hey Jim nice project underway there! The shoreline intrigues me, at what I assume is the scale the edge seems very irregular? I bet it's one of those stunning rocky ones!

Look forward to seeing what you come up with for the retreat.

BTW your trick with the high res / low res image to the topo. I've been doing this for larger sites where I want to integrate GE topography external to the site whilst using local government aerials for the textures. I use high res on the site contours and low res on the GE terrain.

Comment

Hmm, I'd forgotten I'd even posted this one! The SU7 tip is a good one though Takesh - well found!

Richard - I do the same with the lo/hi-res maps too. Actually the image size of the two maps is about the same, but the one covers a much larger area, so it's lower-res in 3D space. I will have to experiment with Takesh's tip and see what my video card can handle.

I'm afriad that the cabin/yoga-retreat is all but dead, interesting site or not. Seems the client isn't focusing on the project at the moment. Last we spoke he was trying to buy the neighboring sites, and was looking into possibility of building closer to the waterline (a major issue here in Norway). So, who know's maybe it will blow back into life before long.

Will have to make due with a swanky pool refurb overlooking the fjord in Oslo instead.
                        Last edited by Jimmern; 07-08-2009, 09:19.

Comment

Working...
                        X