X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sketchup for working/construction drawings

Does anyone have any examples of construction details/working drawings created using sketchup? I'm very curious about trying to use sketchup more and autocad less.

Thanks for your input.

It is much easier to work out issues in CAD.

Comment

Greg Lavardera has done some amazing stuff with sketchup and Powercad. He has a thread over at Architosh that shows how he uses it in his construction documents. He'd be the one to ask.

http://architoshforums.forest.net/showthread.php?t=594

Comment

Great link that was exactly what i was looking for-

Thanks again.

Comment

I have thought about using SU for interior perspectives instead of interior elevations. They tend to be simple drawings most of the time anyway. Also using it to draw more 3-D details also works nicely. I have also found it useful to figure out complex roof intersections and such. I think drafting software is better for most things, but I think that SU can really supplement a drawing set.

Comment

A view of what's to come
            Grizzly 2d Platform
            http://www.pushpullbar.com/forums/sh...hlight=grizzly

Comment

There is more of my SU+Powercadd images right here on PPB:

http://www.pushpullbar.com/forums/sh...p?t=130&page=2

I'm really anxious to see others take this up and push it some more. I know Kevin uses SU to feed graphics into his construction documents as well. I'd love to see some examples. Kevin?

Comment

Thanks everyone, great stuff, just what I was looking for.

Comment

you may want to check out this thread from Sketchup's forum - it is regarding this person implementing a "BILL OF MATERIALS" plugin!! how very cool!

http://forum.sketchup.com/showthread.php?t=73587&page=2

Comment

SU is great, to visulize complex details / junctions, but 2D cad is still the way to put it down plain and simple in a way that it can be read by a builder (in our case sometimes semi-skilled) on site. If there was an easy way to inport SU images (line drawings) into autocad it would be great.

Andre

Comment

In a similar way to how SketchUp is instrumental in design development and presentation it would make sense to incorporate "key details" in SketchUp format. This method could be used to illustrate how things go together and in what order. A classic detail is a commercial window and waterproof flashing. I've seen several window manufacturers produce a 3d drawing to show what flashing goes over top. Also I have done plenty of old-school 3d modeling to design pre-cast panels that were incorporated into construction documents.

SketchUp is really a great tool and should be used when there is a need for explanation. Ideally in 5, 10 or 20 years we can generate all our CD's from a SkecthUp model?

Comment

Originally posted by koos
                        If there was an easy way to inport SU images (line drawings) into autocad it would be great.

Andre
                        But there is: export your geometry to an Autocad file:

File -> Export -> 2D graphic -> Use the AutoCad format.

If you are exporting 2D views, make sure that perspective is off and you are using one of the predefined views (front, top, etc.)

No problem...

Take a look at this thread by Greg Lavarda on his use of sketchup in his CAD work...

http://www.pushpullbar.com/forums/sh...p?t=130&page=2

[mentioned previously in this thread...]

Comment

Sketchup for working drawings

Thanks that was a very impressive link.

Koos..

Comment

Sketchup for working drawings

Thanks that was a very impressive link.

Koos..

Comment

You can say that again!