Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sketchup to 3D Max for rendering.

Hi,

I am a dedicated sketchUp modeler but recently I have become interested the rendering powers of 3Ds max, in particular 3D max's new sketchUp importer.

What I would like to know is if anyone knew any basic tutorials which would help me learn how to manage my models within 3D Max without learning the complexities of the whole program.

I currently render using vray within sketchUp but what I would like to do is import a complete model (textures and all) in to 3D MAX and then import some heavy geometry components such as trees (I have looked at evermotion models) ....then render the whole thing in vray for 3Ds max.
    Also what I would like to do is merge several sketchUp models into one big file.

If anyone could give any advice/insight into this import/render technique it would be much appreciated.

Well its not that simple...

However, there is a lot improvement with new autodesk productivity extension, but that is for max 2010... With this extension you are allowed to import native sketchup files into the Max. Problem can cause materilas nad surfaces, sometimes max recognize wrong side of plane and its just dark surface. This can be solved by applying two side max materials to model when you import it, or can edit geometry and flip sides. For this operation you need to know some basic stuff about max modeling.

Vray is a little bit different in max, vray materials also... Importing heavy geometry in max is not problem at all. Trees like evermotion is very easy to import and use if you export them as vray proxies, that way you can have bilions of poligons, and render it without any problems... If you do that without proxy you will have problems

I have done many renders of sketchup models in max so i'm very familiar with theme, if you need help just ask...

Regards!

Comment

the.doctor,

What's the basic hardware (RAM, video card, CPU, etc.) for 3ds Max? Could you work with the software on a laptop?

steel.monkee

Comment

Sure... But it depends from your requirements...

I'm curently using quad core 6600@3.2Ghz, 4 Gb ram and old 6600 geforce... Thats like optimum to work with large scenes and have fast render... By large scenes i mean a lot of trees and polygons. If you dont have so complicated scene a lot older and slower computer can do the job...

For good stability 64bit sistem is must have... XP64 or win7 64 and 64 bit version of max and vray...

Comment

Originally posted by the.doctor View Post

However, there is a lot improvement with new autodesk productivity extension, but that is for max 2010... With this extension you are allowed to import native sketchup files into the Max. Problem can cause materilas nad surfaces, sometimes max recognize wrong side of plane and its just dark surface. This can be solved by applying two side max materials to model when you import it, or can edit geometry and flip sides. For this operation you need to know some basic stuff about max modeling.

Vray is a little bit different in max, vray materials also... Importing heavy geometry in max is not problem at all. Trees like evermotion is very easy to import and use if you export them as vray proxies, that way you can have bilions of poligons, and render it without any problems... If you do that without proxy you will have problems

I have done many renders of sketchup models in max so i'm very familiar with theme, if you need help just ask...

Regards!
          Thanks for your post!

I am currently experimenting with Vray on 3D Max rendering some basic shapes I managed to model in the program.... would were right Vray on Max is much different to Sketchup, not as simple

Have you any advice on basic setup. I can currently on mange to render flat, shadowless, texturless scenes with no lighting. I don't need to know how to do anything fancy just simple daylight/sun set up with shadows and textures.

I imported a Archmodel tree and it rendered black.

Comment

Well you have a lot options about illumination... Just think about it like you are in real world... You can get light from sky, sun, blubs, candels... There are many emitters that you can use.

Turn on global illumination and you will get some kind of default light. Then you can add direct light [or vray sun] as sun, or even vray sky. If you use vray sun and vray sky you must use vray camera too... it has everything as real camera [like iso, shutter speed, vigneting...]

Comment

need help

hi dear,

I couldnt find the tool which allowed me to import native sketchup file into the max
              all what i find ( import non native files???) what can i do to import sketchup file into the max

kind regards

Originally posted by the.doctor View Post

Regards!

Comment

Originally posted by Clarissa! View Post
                Hi,

I am a dedicated sketchUp modeler but recently I have become interested the rendering powers of 3Ds max, in particular 3D max's new sketchUp importer.

What I would like to know is if anyone knew any basic tutorials which would help me learn how to manage my models within 3D Max without learning the complexities of the whole program.

I currently render using vray within sketchUp but what I would like to do is import a complete model (textures and all) in to 3D MAX and then import some heavy geometry components such as trees (I have looked at evermotion models) ....then render the whole thing in vray for 3Ds max.
                Also what I would like to do is merge several sketchUp models into one big file.

If anyone could give any advice/insight into this import/render technique it would be much appreciated.
                Hi Clarissa,

Is trees and other hi-poly models is all you look for in adding 3dsmax to the mix? might be overkill for just that.

Comment

This used to be my workflow. Most imprtant thing is a clean sketchup model- more important than anything else (people can argue with me on this). Layer your file logically. Most times a layering by material will suffice. I always completely redid materials in 3dstudio so I would simply paint a colour onto the faces in sketchup representing different materials. Now heres the secret... You actually do not really need to know how to use 3dstudio to render in it. Just a basic idea of how to navigate & UVW mapping Inseting a camera, and inserting a light, and how to make a material (same as vray for sketchup essentially). The vray website had a number of getting started tutorials, which will show you basics of exterior and interior lighting. I think the only way to do it is to play around with the prog, and have a go at some simple tutorials, and then play around agian, you'll be up and running in no time!
                  Now the other big question is why use vray when max has mental ray in-built. I think that's a debate for another day though.

Comment

Oh yeah, I think MAX 2010&2011 only import .skp natively, dont worry if you've an old version, just export to .3ds.. and import to MAX. Always worked perfectly for me, but then again, i had impeccably clean and perfectly layered skp files!!

Comment

http://sketchupartists.wordpress.com...bahamas-villa/

i tried this tutorial and the basic steps worked for me

Comment

Great Tutorial... Clear... As said before max 2011 and 2012 import directly sketchup models... Great feature...

Comment

Tutorial for importing sketchup into 3ds max

It can be tricky to get all the settings right to do this - so I wrote a very clear step-by-step tutorial which should really help people import sketchup into 3ds max.

http://www.kropped.com/tutorial/Impo...hup-to-3DS-Max

I hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                          X