Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SketchUp to .ifc export?

Hi all, about time I ask a technical question

How do you export a SketchUp file out to .ifc format?

I know there is a plugin so you can import a .ifc file into SketchUp (PC only it seems), but how do you go the other way around?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by SWANK-E; 30-05-2009, 09:31.

That's why I didn't fancy that Oslo competition, couldn't figure out how to do that or even what exactly they wanted. Would be interested to hear if anyone has a workaround that doesn't involve buying a major piece of BIM software. My ADT2004/5 can't do it. Sounded like yet another way of excluding the little guys to me....

Comment

So is it a matter of exporting it out in dxf and take it to any other BIM program and then from there do an export to ifc??

Regarding the Oslo comp, I doubt they would really judge your work based on the quality of the 3D ifc file, but it's just a requirement. That's why I don't care how good the ifc file turns out to be when exported. I just want to satisfy the requirement that there is an ifc file with an intact model in it. Afterall, all the 3D files they have supplied sucked anyway.

Comment

IFC requires that 'objects' know what they are: eg. floor, wall, column, ceiling, roof, etc. Surface modellers like SketchUP and Bonzai3D don't have that 'intelligence' in their objects and therefore are unlikely to become IFC capable any time soon.

Exporting the SU file to DXF and opening it in another program won't help because all the information will be is a series of surfaces without any 'intelligence' as to what they are.

More information on the IFC standard can be found here: http://www.iai-tech.org/ifc/IFC2x3/TC1/html/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by mikem oz View Post
          Exporting the SU file to DXF and opening it in another program won't help because all the information will be is a series of surfaces without any 'intelligence' as to what they are.
          Thanks. That's what I thought. But as long as the geometries are there, without any intelligence, I don't really care. They only specified that they need an IFC file, not the quality of it. Seriously they can't judge a design competition project based on the file quality!!

So does the DXF way work and if so what programs do you suggest doing it in?

Comment

It looks like Vectorworks will export to IFC, and it can also import SU files, so that might be the way to go.

I only briefly read the Oslo Comp program, but I got the impression that the IFC model was just to be a massing model, or one that showed the program volumes at most. I don't think they are expecting doors and walls to show up.

MikemOZ, think you can help out Kevin? I'd be curious to know if it works myself.

Comment

Vectorworks does export to IFC, and it can import SketchUP files. There are some issues with this though because it attempts to convert the different surfaces to floors, walls and roofs.

From the Vw Online Help:
              SketchUp import is intended for architectural geometry. Use the Import DXF/DWG command rather than the Import SketchUp command to import polygonal geometry.

Comment

Working...
              X