Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Materials Library for Vray Sketchup

Materials Library for Vray Sketchup

hello does anyone know where i can get (prefably free) a library of vray materials for sketchup? most sites only have materials for 3dsmax

in the worst case i've read one can convert some max texture files into the .vismat format from 3dsmax. has anybody done that or know the quickest most efficient way to do it ?

thanks!

I only gave V-Ray for SKP a short try, this being the only reason.
    Couldn't work it out either :(

Comment

thanks..
      i've moved on and started making my own from sketchup...the simplest way i think

am using the pre-installed vray materials as a reference and developing it further

Comment

ask one of the admins on www.asgvis.com about the converter tool.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie View Post
          Materials Library for Vray Sketchup

hello does anyone know where i can get (prefably free) a library of vray materials for sketchup? most sites only have materials for 3dsmax

in the worst case i've read one can convert some max texture files into the .vismat format from 3dsmax. has anybody done that or know the quickest most efficient way to do it ?

thanks!
          Try this

http://asgvis.com/index.php?option=c...derby=2&page=1

http://www.vray.com/free_vray_tools/...on/index.shtml

Comment

a lot of those materials appear not to work with skup... anyone else tried them?

Comment

they are for vray for rhino.

a few ways around this:

a) ask one of the admins/tech support of www.asgvis.com about the converter tool for vray materials (supposedly was being made to convert Vray 3ds materials into SU and Rhino formats).

b) make your own. this isn't terrible hard to do. Most texture packages from other freesites come with an image in the form of .png .jpg or .bmp. All that you have to do is take that image and manually select it as your texture in vray.

to make bump maps or displacement maps, take the same image into photoshop and either make it gray-scale, or go into the RGB channel and choose the contrast channel that suits your needs. then make that channel a new layer. From here you should have some form of black & white image of the initial texture. all you have to do is add a little amount of 'Gaussian Blur' that will soften the edges and then save that image as either .bmp or .png. I personally avoid saving to jpeg in this instance as the former file types save more compressed data and is better for texture application.

I will try to get a few screenshots up if this isn't very clear. you'll find how to do this on a google search or let me know if you want me to post a proper tutorial of my own, because i probably won't do it due to extreme laziness.

note: i have vray for rhino and as such some things will differ in screenshots and i doubt i'll know their SU variant.

Comment

Vray for Rhino mats should work fine with Vray for SU. No need for conversion.

Comment

you may need to upgrade your version of Vray for sketchup to 1.05.30, some *.vismat don't work with the previous vray version.

Comment

probably a stupid question but where can i find out what version of vray I've got.. I think its 1.0... whats the latest SKUP version to be released by ASG?

Comment

Originally posted by mattjames View Post
                      probably a stupid question but where can i find out what version of vray I've got.. I think its 1.0... whats the latest SKUP version to be released by ASG?
                      not a stupud question actually.. i have the same problem...those rhino .vismat files from the links dont work with my vray

Comment

latest version is 1.5, available from asgvis.com

Comment

latest version is 01.05.03 you can see what version you are on from vray render options > about

Comment

managed to upgrade to latest version and it solved the issue.. still be nice if ASGvis could sort their website/links/etc out tho!

Comment

cant upgrade my vray but am learning alot about how to make the materials from opening the downloaded the .vismats in material studio and then copying the material settings.

Comment

Working...
                              X