X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AutoCAD DWG Extents

I am curious about whether or not you AutoCAD users out there set drawing extents or if you disregard extents altogether.

I understand that if extents are not set, it is possible for graphics to be moved or copied outside the upper limit of possible extents, in which case they can no longer be retrieved.

A reason for not setting extents is apparantly to avoid the problem of having to extend them if the initial extents prove to be inadequate.

I ask, because my own CAD app of choice, MicroGDS, displays an alert if a DWG is opened which does not have extents set. Is this something that represents a significant concern or should it be simply ignored?

I stopped using extents for the reason you gave, they do prove to be inadequate, especially if I want to make a copy of drawings for editing. I find them useful for dwg's I issue to the client, etc.

May be drawings extents were useful when computers had smaller processing power?

Comment

Actually (for me) drawing extents were useful waaaaaaaaay back in the day before paperspace/model space was available/widely used. It forced you to draw inside a boundary area that would fit on the drawing sheet and helped prevent extra data just "hanging" in space beyond the border. I admit I've been out of "production" for a while, but it's been a decade since I last made use of it. Unless it effects your program, I would just ignore it.
      Last edited by BrianMyers; 08-01-2010, 16:29.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianMyers View Post
        Actually (for me) drawing extents were useful waaaaaaaaay back in the day before paperspace/model space was available/widely used. It forced you to draw inside a boundary area that would fit on the drawing sheet and helped prevent extra data just "hanging" in space beyond the border. I admit I've been out of "production" for a while, but it's been a decade since I last made use of it. Unless it effects your program, I would just ignore it.
        I think that not setting extents affects the Zoom All (Or maybe Zoom Extents) command in AutoCAD as "All" is then an unknown factor. The drawing would presumably end up as a mere dot on screen. Otherwise I assume there are no other practical issues.

MicroGDS just warns us that the extents are not set and data may exist beyond the limits. That would required the AutoCAD user to have accidently moved or copied data beyond the maximum extents (which are +-1e020 units - an awfully large number! (though NOT infinity as I have seen suggested elsewhere)) I'm wondering how rare this would be. I HAVE seen it a couple of times and understand that it is unrecoverable when it happens, but mostly there is no problem.

Comment

DWG converter

Yes, there are other ways you can do it just convert dwg to files in other formats just on your will. So I recommend DWG converter to you, good luck!
          Source:http://www.hdvideoconverter-mac.com/dwg-converter.html

Comment

Working...
          X