Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cool sketches! pardon my ignorance, is that utzon?

Comment

Originally posted by spadestick View Post
      cool sketches! pardon my ignorance, is that utzon?
      Hey spadestick, welcome back. It is not an ignorant question. I was going to put Le Corbusier in the shower but this is a serious thread

That is Utzon in the last sketch - in my opinion, an architect without peer is his ability to fuse Islamic, Chinese and Japanese geometries into something entirely new.

Was in Sydney a few weeks back and made my ususal pilgrimage to the Opera House. Pulling him off that project was a crime - you can very clearly see what he did and what what done by others. The new additions are fussy and contrived - done by the sons with a local firm and not by Utzon himself. The building itself is still looking sublime and not weathering at all.

If he could resolve spherical intersections with a pencil and a compass, then I thought that maybe, just maybe I should try to build a little dining chair ...........

Regards,

David
      Last edited by DavidG; 18-09-2011, 18:09.

Comment

I have completed most of the detailed design now for the general apartment but resolving the furniture is proving to be very difficult - I am trying to make everything as simple as possible;
        • trying to use one standard profile for all members and to make the whole piece from 2-3 standard parts
        • have selected triangular sections for stiffness / lightness

I am looking at bent beechwood, made several models to discuss with the cabinet makers. They are always conducting their own experiments and have coincidentally decided to build their own steam press - it should be ready in a month or so.

A few questions for the ppb`er community:
        • does anyone have any experience with bentwood furniture - any tips/horror stories? Am a bit concerned about whether triangular sections can be successfully steam bent...........
        • has anyone ever specified `japan` finish ie a black colour wood stain which allows the grain pattern to shown through?
        • am being strongly dissuaded from using oil for natural wood fnishes becase of the humid climate here - any thoughts?

Regards,

David
        Attached Files
        Last edited by DavidG; 24-09-2011, 15:46.

Comment

Before, During, After (?)

Handbasin prototype constructed of travertine slab, 1:10 model of master bathroom, shot of guest bathroom demolition underway, .........
          Attached Files
          Last edited by DavidG; 30-09-2011, 18:28.

Comment

Love these models. Fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by awa View Post
              Love these models. Fantastic.
              Thanks AWA. Design by model takes a lot of time but the end result is a better building - architecture is a 3D medium after all.

Clients love it too - the procession of models creates a kind of timeline allowing them to see how architecture is made.

It also stops a lot of `ugly` getting into the work

Working drawings going up after my usual struggle with posting!

Comment

Working Drawings

I have produced about 20 sheets of A3 drawings so far, all hand drawn. The final design is very simple and low key, in line with the original design intent to live in quiet luxury.

The real struggle has been behind the scenes, reconciling a desire to build a place that felt like `home` - which at its` most basic means `somewhere specific to display your stuff` - with the desire to live in calm and order which requires heavy editing of `what can be seen and what cannot be seen`.

As you can see I have;
                • selected built in furniture for concentrated usages like bedroom and study to `fix` the look
                • done a lot of detailing in the kitchen and bathrooms to make sure that abolutely everything works to a common module. The site set out is going to be critical because a `miss` is going to stand out like a traffic light!
                • living and dining rooms kept as simple as possible, with loose furniture rather than fixed so that the spaces can be changed around a lot
                • increased the amount of concealed storage - I really don`t like handles / powerpoints / light switches and so I have deleted as many as possible

I am still finalizing some of the furniture and adding dimensions. Am on fifth version of bathroom mirror, have decided to build a mock up when the site work is more advanced. The key documents are posted below to give you an idea of what is going on.

Regards,

David
                Attached Files
                Last edited by DavidG; 15-10-2011, 10:00.

Comment

More Working Drawings .......

More working drawings .................
                  Attached Files

Comment

1. Bent wood - no horror stories so far, especially with the high quality ones engineered and designed properly. unsure about triangular pieces.
                    2. Yes, I believe it has been specified before.
                    3. The timber in tropical humid climates work great with soap finishes. oil will occur naturally as our bodies react with them, all my beech furniture has darkened over several months as result - I call this "natural" oiling. I believe the local trades know what they're talking about. Had a friend who tried to paint some oak top with an oil based paint in Asia. He couldn't dry it out for 3 months and threw it away in the end. He'd come from Germany thinking that oil reacts similarly over there.

Originally posted by DavidG View Post
                    I have completed most of the detailed design now for the general apartment but resolving the furniture is proving to be very difficult - I am trying to make everything as simple as possible;
                    • trying to use one standard profile for all members and to make the whole piece from 2-3 standard parts
                    • have selected triangular sections for stiffness / lightness

I am looking at bent beechwood, made several models to discuss with the cabinet makers. They are always conducting their own experiments and have coincidentally decided to build their own steam press - it should be ready in a month or so.

A few questions for the ppb`er community:
                    • does anyone have any experience with bentwood furniture - any tips/horror stories? Am a bit concerned about whether triangular sections can be successfully steam bent...........
                    • has anyone ever specified `japan` finish ie a black colour wood stain which allows the grain pattern to shown through?
                    • am being strongly dissuaded from using oil for natural wood fnishes becase of the humid climate here - any thoughts?

Regards,

David
                    Last edited by spadestick; 15-10-2011, 21:00.

Comment

Originally posted by spadestick View Post
                      1. Bent wood - no horror stories so far, especially with the high quality ones engineered and designed properly. unsure about triangular pieces.
                      2. Yes, I believe it has been specified before.
                      3. The timber in tropical humid climates work great with soap finishes. oil will occur naturally as our bodies react with them, all my beech furniture has darkened over several months as result - I call this "natural" oiling. I believe the local trades know what they're talking about. Had a friend who tried to paint some oak top with an oil based paint in Asia. He couldn't dry it out for 3 months and threw it away in the end. He'd come from Germany thinking that oil reacts similarly over there.
                      3. I've used bees wax, this works well...

I'm concerned about your travertine filling....honed is standard though colour matched fill? The beauty of travertine is it's character including holes, ideally best left unfilled, though in situations where this isn't practical clear epoxy (careful specifying the type) still allows the holes to be expressed whilst a thread of honesty and integrity remaining in material expression.

Comment

Nice thread. Really plesant to see that you are sketching and prototyping using your hands and not a computer.

Comment

Originally posted by nicholas View Post
                          I'm concerned about your travertine filling....honed is standard though colour matched fill? The beauty of travertine is it's character including holes, ideally best left unfilled, though in situations where this isn't practical clear epoxy (careful specifying the type) still allows the holes to be expressed whilst a thread of honesty and integrity remaining in material expression.
                          I second the concern with the travertine. I suspect you may have chosen it because of the color and cost, it's may not be the best of the marbles for a tub. I have seen a travertine counter and sink and wasn't impressed, may have been the detailing but the color made it look a little dirty at time. If your water closet is going to be white wouldn't a nice white carrara work? Maybe a little rich though.

Love those hand drawings!

Comment

Nice working drawings sketches

As a general comment regarding this blog - I'd like to see more sketches, doodles & construction drawings.......................................... ........................... the general stuff of our profession.
                            Last edited by koos; 18-10-2011, 06:15.

Comment

Thank you Nicholas, spadestick, rmlongman, posesick and Koos for your comments. Have reviewed everything at length, response below.......

Stonework
                              The original bathroom was tiled using `stauario venario‘ carrera marble. Beautiful stone, horrifically expensive and very temperamental - has a tendency to leach the salts out of even white cement substrate and turn yellow. I love the look but have given up using it in wet areas.

My ultimate solution would be granite but could not get japanese granite in Singapore, cannot get my head around a black or red granite bathroom. Maybe if we had external windows to these areas..............

I reviewed several samples of clear expoxy filled travertine;
                              • Epoxy = plastic, am not comfortable at the idea of coating stone with plastic.
                              • many unresolvable technical issues. Expoxy can often be harder than the stone itself, thus causing the fill over time to work out as `plugs`especially in flooring
                              • Clear expoxy turns yellow over time

Took the plunge, bought travertine with factory finish cement sand grout coloured mixed with dust from the stone iteself to get the colour right, calcium silicate based sealer.

Wood Finishes
                              Am extemely grateful your advice, Spadestick, on not using oil - thanks to you I just dodged a bullet on that one. Cannot find pure soapflakes in Singapore yet. Have specified a German product called Osmo which is a kind of `wonder jelly` - water forms droplets and spills off as does grease but feels like natural timber to the touch. Am worried about the long term stability though.

Nicholas, Beeswax is a brilliant suggestion - am looking into this now.

Use of Models, Hand Drawings Etc
                              I have too because I am hopeless with technology - sadly I just cannot connect well with a computer render

Site progress going well will post shortly......

Regards,

David
                              Last edited by DavidG; 22-10-2011, 08:44.

Comment

In the Cabinetry Workshop

Cabinet maker and I are having fun in his workshop - photos attached of the desk, bed, headboard and shelf cabinetry coming together including grain matching, agreeing the joint details, sample finishes. So far, so good - lines of the pieces are very horizontal, as I had hoped.

Cabinetmaker is really enjoying the job, not sure why - probably because my Chinese is terrible, I have a very strange thick accent which no-one has ever heard before and I mangle the words. He is a gifted craftsman and this job is too easy for him - you can see some other examples of his work in the photos - those beautiful screens in the third shot were made by him.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by DavidG; 22-10-2011, 08:38.

Comment

Working...
                                X