Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you're forcing too much on your stroll concept.The apartment is small and it just creates smaller corridors that make it feel even more smaller. I can see that you love your study so much than your bedroom ? I would not take away the bedroom there. I'll just combine study with living with full openable sliders to open up...
    Attached Files

Comment

What about turning the way that bath 1 door swings and pushing the storage against the resulting wall.

Attachment
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
        This is probably my only suggestion and something I did like from an apartment in Singapore, opening a large slider between the bedroom and living so the whole space can be opened up more.

The door could actually be sized to slide back full length of the robeso it doesn't lose the wall space in the bedroom.

The other that seems overkill is the inclusion of two bathrooms - if structure allows I'd probably try to capture more robe space as mentioned above with the bathroom having provision for a small laundry cabinet.
        Richard is usually right on the money with plans (crazy to have two baths)
        What about moving the kitchen to be at the windows - then all plumbing at one side and the kitchen is then the main part of trhe flat?
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DavidG View Post
          Hello all, back again but with some sobering news - just hit the first hurdle. Costs have come in over budget for both options. I can have high quality materials and good workmanship, I can have a stroll garden layout but I can't have both.

Although contractors margins here are actually very lean, pricing in Singapore is now at the top of the market cycle. I will not give up good workmanship, not keen on using too many cheaper but highly processed materials like laminates and veneers either.

Could be a positive development though - constraints normally make a project much, much better. In order to deliver champagne on a beer budget, I will construction manage the whole process myself, rather than use a traditional main contractor;
          • as discussed earlier, will try to design most of the kit myself and manufacture locally. There are some really good craftsmen here who do a great job on bespoke furniture
          • because the market is relatively small, branded architectural products tend to be the purview of sole agents driving huge margins - in many cases, more expensive than Tokyo (!!?) I am going to bypass the local agents pricing by purchasing hardware in other countries and freighting in
          • have also decided to limit myself to two, perhaps three materials

As the parameters are now clear and project has been taking some time, I am going to take the bull by the horns and start site works like demolition now. Will post shortly on material selection.

Over to you team ................,

David

Look carefully at Kieran's plan, it's very close to getting it right....

I would love to hear about the high quality craftsman you have found here, not something I come across very often and find close to impossible on small projects....what materials are you considering? A limited material palette is wise.

Some products are cheap others are expensive, always worth checking the price. As you mentioned, if there is one supplier usually the prices are ridiculous (think gouging) What are the items in Tokyo that are cheaper?

I gather you haven't been here for very long? I suggest you consider the thought of self managing the project very very carefully, even if this was what you did professionally.

Comment

Something it is a interesting sharing about the design in the Singapore...........

Comment

Everyone,

Thank you for your many suggestions on the layout - you have made me think long and hard, which is always good. I understand the intentions but not entirely convinced by the general consensus which is to open the place up;
              • a single continous space formed by rooms opening onto rooms does not really address the design intent of calm / quiet luxury / 'spaces in between' and generates a host of functional issues to be resolved eg a shared bathroom, dirty pots and pans in full view etc
              • the functional issues can be resolved but my fear is that the end result will try too hard and fall short of the target

A deeper solution might be to try `interlocking space` ie rooms within rooms as per the aerial images of Ryoanji Temple and sketches below;
              • designing a series of discrete space which interlock creates spaces in between and filters what can be seen, what cannot be seen
              • can be achieved by gentle intervention to the existing layout rather than full scale demolition

Will post shortly on material selection - have now stripped the apartment of unneccessary lights, switches etc and tracked down the last batch of some nice stone slabs. Little tree is starting to look good after a bit of care.

As always, your comments most welcome. Will post again soon.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by DavidG; 03-09-2011, 09:01.

Comment

a single continous space [/B]formed by rooms opening onto rooms does not really address the design intent of calm / quiet luxury / 'spaces in between' .
                big space is luxury. having flexibility to combine rooms to create much livable spaces is best I think.

I have taken Ryoanji Temple and interpreted (a bit of wiki), parts of the temple defines your spaces as illustrated below.

4 full-ht sliding door panels will create the mood, calm, inspiration, movement, . 1 could be in wood, 1 in laminated glass (with jap art paper), 2 in screen lattice form. It will combine rooms, open-up, create new spaces, and play to the senses

ariel
                Attached Files

Comment

yes, unless you have the experience of contracting with the right contacts and getting both skilled an unskilled workers to come in and plaster up / tile the place, it's not advisable. Oft time contractors look at a place in its locale and property type and quote accordingly, which is unfortunate but such is the case. There are good and relatively cheap contractors out there, but they are far and few in between. Instead of thinking expensive materials, perhaps you can try plywood, such as in this image (also done in singapore).good design can really lift the value of a place. in terms of value - a relative of mine just sold his place which i designed years ago but using the cheapest possible stuff. The buyer was bowled over by the design and willing to fork out much much more than what it was valued at, even in this depressed market.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Spadestick, Ariel C,

I am an old man - your youthful enthusiasm is killing me

I have attached a sketch of Ryoan-ji so you can see it through my eyes. As with Ryoan-ji, gentle intervention rather than total demolition is my preferred approach.

I do want to say though that I am enjoying the discussion and hope to hear much more from both of you as this thread develops,

Regards,

David
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by DavidG; 05-09-2011, 03:24. Reason: rotated sketch!

Comment

Material Selection

Have decided to keep the material palette as simple as possible - about 90% of the job will be executed using a cabinet maker and a stonemason.

Getting good stone can be a matter of luck here - as there is no quarrying done in Singapore you cannot select the vein as you would normally and so it really depends on which yard bought what block. Samples are never indicative of the stock and so you just have to go back again and again;
                      • I tried and failed dismally to get Japanese `aji` granite, which is a good thing because I cannot afford it!
                      • After going through the yards three times, I finally got lucky - they mentioned in passing that they had a few left overs. I took a look and instantly bought the last few slabs of a beautiful travertine which will do nicely for the bathrooms - caffe latte coloured, fantastic earthy sediment pattern and good fossilization, about 2.4m x 1.5m per slab
                      • I am using graphite grey granite slabs in other areas

A little bit of consternation from the stonemasons when I explained that I would like the travertine honed not polished. More deep discussion about colour matching of the fill - cement grout not epoxy. Further shaking of head when I insisted that the granite be flamed and bush hammered and that all tool marks on the cut faces must be left as is.

Managed to track down a log of American Walnut for the joinery - nice and straight with very few knots, about 4 metres in length, getting it milled up now.

Work on site has progressed smoothly. Have been thinking hard, hard, hard about the detailing now, will post more pictures and some drawings soon.

Regards,

David
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by DavidG; 10-09-2011, 19:23.

Comment

Have decided to keep the material palette as simple as possible -

A little bit of consternation from the stonemasons when I explained that I would like the travertine honed not polished. More deep discussion about colour matching of the fill - cement grout not epoxy. Further shaking of head when I insisted that the granite be flamed and bush hammered and that all tool marks on the cut faces must be left as is.

Managed to track down a log of American Walnut for the joinery - nice and straight with very few knots, about 4 metres in length, getting it milled up now.

Regards,

David
                        Mate! Looking forward to seeing that Walnut in place.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM as in delicious.

Comment

Simon,

Am also looking forward to it. A long slow process though - had to buy it in China as nothing suitable was available in Singapore. After milling, will have to walk the finished pieces up 8 stories - too big to fit in lift as I am looking for continous spans about 3.5m long from wall to wall without joint.

On a related topic, I thought you might like this video about George Nakashima from Papersky - sorry, I could not find anything good with a English translation;
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2GfZ0ka-dQ.

His workshop survives him and, as you can see from the link, is still producing his designs as he would have wished - photo below courtesy of George Nakashima Woodworker.

There is a museum dedicated to him in Takamatsu. If you haven`t been to this part of Japan I recommend it - Shikoku people have a very unique character, centre of Japanese crafts movement, Bizen pottery, site of a very famous ancient Heike clan battle nearby. You can visit Noguchis` workshop and house there too - and the food is great,

Regards,

David
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by DavidG; 12-09-2011, 07:00.

Comment

Design Sketches and Models

I do not use computers for the design phase because they are too precise. I prefer designing by model and hand sketch - the end result seems to be better when I let things flow. I appreciate that there are limits to the technique but I find this helpful - the limitations force me to be selective and in a small project `what you do not do` is as critical as `what you do`.

Have decided to stick to a few simple rules;
                            • apartment is already laid out on a 300 x 300 x 300mm module. I have broken this down into 30 / 50 / 150 / 300mm for all elements big and small. Am pushing myself very hard to go deeper than grid, grid, grid because right angles dont make comfortable furniture! As you can see from the shot of my working table, I have pulled out the compass set and am exploring triangular and circular variations too. This project is all about the details and so I have mocked up the key elements eg light fittings, joinery and major junctions by card model
                            • have set a datum line of 900mm - just below the viewing plane - nothing except furniture below this point, nothing except artwork above it. The datum line is lower than normal to create long, relaxed horizontal views appropriate to the `landscape approach`
                            • lighting levels are going to be set very low with a lot of contrast between zones to emphasise the sense of `spaces in between` and `interlocking space`. As far as possible, lighting will be concelaed
                            • finally all details will be either `floating`, `folded` or `faded` - because I feel like it!

As always your thoughts most welcome ...............,

Regards,

David
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by DavidG; 17-09-2011, 15:44.

Comment

Design Sketches and Models /cont................

Design sketches below............................................. ........
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by DavidG; 18-09-2011, 11:17.

Comment

Well would you look at that - I say that I am not going to use computers for the design and then my thread gets attacked by a spambot. Coincdence? I think not! Clearly AutoCad software is developing some kind of artifical intelligence ...............

Comment

Working...
                                X