X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nicholas View Post
    The material doesn't need to be curved, it is just the old fashioned corrugated iron...it has a much nicer quality than the standard gal

The photos shows something similar catching the light;
    As far as I'm aware the only difference between Custom Orb (standard corrugated sheet) and Custom Blue Orb is that the Blue Orb is thicker (0.60 or 0.80mm v 0.42 or 0.48mm) which gives it (or is it to compensate for?) the extra ductility to allow for curving. The zincalume (zinc aluminium silicon protective coating) or colorbond finish on both is exactly the same so the look of it on the roof makes no difference whatsoever.

There is still some galvanised sheet (pure zinc) produced if that's what you're thinking about (Galvabond I think they call it). I believe it's about 50% more expensive though and doesn't have the same durability. To get a really thick zinc coating for good durability basically is a special order job. It has a larger more irregular spangle than zincalume though and loses it's gloss more quickly so it looks more old school once weathered if that's your bag.

Sorry if that means nothing to our non Australian friends as zincalume, galvabond, custom orb and custom blue orb are just brand names of Lysaghts here. Orb and Blue Orb are quite old brands so it's quite possible the sheet in the picture was indeed Blue Orb Corrugated Steel, but that's a very different beast to the Custom Blue Orb you buy today.
    Last edited by awa; 09-06-2010, 13:47.

Comment

• Thank you very much Andrew. I think it's the zincalume them. The colourbond is about 50% more expensive too the last time I checked (about 5 years ago), and since the builder wants to work on an hourly rate (cause i'll be doing a lot of the work myself) and I'm convinced about repainting, then price of the roofing dictates.

Comment

• Not much difference between zincalume and colorbond now.

Comment

• Zincalume won't off-colour for a LONG time. It will remain VERY shiny.
          Gal, goes a "nice" grey fairly quickly, dulling down. You won't get a match to this with zincalume - sadly there is a big price diff.

The alternative is to use a colorbond in a soft grey to mimic gal gone off (patina)

Colorbond with zincalume gutters is ok ok I think, from memory

Roof colours - don't forget reflection of heat (ie lighter, shiny) rather than absorption (darker) - don't ask your insulation to work quite so hard

As an aside blue is great in a rural setting when viewed from a distance - it actually blends better than the greens produced by colorbond (but try and tell planners that!)

Comment

• @ Andrew. Hmm, not much price difference meaning colourbond is cheaper now?, not.

@Tufan. I reckon the reflective quality is another clincher for zincalume. I actually really like the shiny and our old house quickly dulled off because of dust settling on the surface, which I couldn't be bothered washing off. And zincalume roofing is compatible with colourbond guttering because colourbond is actually spray-painted zincalume.

Comment

• Originally posted by simon seasons View Post
              @ Andrew. Hmm, not much price difference meaning colourbond is cheaper now?, not.
              Indeed not. When steel was cheaper the cost of the extra colorbond coating processes were significant, but now the steel component of the total price dwarfs the colorbond component making it only slightly more than zincalume.

Comment

@Tufan. I reckon the reflective quality is another clincher for zincalume. I actually really like the shiny and our old house quickly dulled off because of dust settling on the surface, which I couldn't be bothered washing off. And zincalume roofing is compatible with colourbond guttering because colourbond is actually spray-painted zincalume.
                Less difference now (supposedly) thanks to the Thermatech coating on all colorbond sheets.
                http://www.colorbond.com/thermatech/...acts-sheet.pdf

Comment

• Mate, you are a mine of worthy information and research! That idea (thermatec) is a good one but does it equal zincalume?
                  Last edited by simon seasons; 10-06-2010, 10:13.

Comment

Mate, you are a mine of worthy information and research! That idea (thermatec) is a good one but does it equal zincalume?
                    Don't know - ask Lysaght, I'm a sports administrator not an architect.

Comment

• Originally posted by awa View Post
                      Don't know - ask Lysaght, I'm a sports administrator not an architect.
                      hahha. Good pass

Comment

• The edge trim done. I planed and sanded it to match the draining profile on top and cut around the old recycled drain head too. I decided not to try and match the colour but contrast it instead. I also have decided not to face the deck board ends as the long thin profile is getting quite impressive and trying to edge it doesn't really gain much since it's primary purpose is to protect the joists ends on the sides of the deck. No joist ends on the front of the deck and considering that large flat paving stones will be put in front of it anyway, why bother. Keeps it honest.

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment [/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by simon seasons; 12-06-2010, 05:24.

Comment

• Nearly finished the deck part, now for the stone work. I won't bore you with moving all the timber out and the stones in.
                          It so cold in our uninsulated house that doing the insulation retrofit is a certainty, but it'll have to wait till it's warmer, so the next project is putting in a reconditioned slow combustion fire box I bought for $300. Another $200 on new flue, rockwool and 'bespoke' (love or hate that word depending on the company) plate steel baffles and it's ready to go in. But first render and paint the old fire place. So that'll be the next lot of pics.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Next lot of pics after these ones of course showing the finished deck.

Attached Files
                            Last edited by simon seasons; 15-06-2010, 07:42.

Comment

• Here's some closer detail shots.
                              Note that serendipity had the last post surrounded by the deck timbers perfectly evenly. I put a little mitred return on the corner edge that is visible as you come down the driveway, and I also reversed the orientation of the boards as they went past the tree so that the last board matched the last board at the other end, and so the cut out would look better as well (visible in post#117 first image).

Attached Files
                              Last edited by simon seasons; 15-06-2010, 07:42.

Comment

• Now for the fireplace.
                                First is to grind off all the old paint and grime ready for a hard cement render. Here's the tools (mask, heavy chisel and wire-brush. Safety glasses and earmuffs not shown) and that big plastic sheet stapled to mantlepiece is going to be my weird realm for half an hour.
                                The fire box is quite a nice 80's thing that needs a new handle as well.

Attached Files
                                Last edited by simon seasons; 15-06-2010, 13:33.

Comment

Working...
                                X