X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entasis on a timber deck

Serendipitous or not that is a classic. But if anyone would do it I'd have guessed you.

Comment

Really great deck. The attention to detail you have is amazing.

Comment

A bit of post rationalisation on the mistake...?
        Looks good though.

I wanted to chip in on colour. I think cream / white is bad. If you paint the siding a darker colour it will increase how big the space looks. I did this on a project and it is amazing how strong the effect. Also you will not be ashamed to tell people you painted the house magnolia!

See quick mock ups of the colours below... one just the back the other all the siding in a darker colour
        Attached Files
        Last edited by gorgon; 08-06-2010, 21:16.

Comment

Originally posted by gorgon View Post
          A bit of post rationalisation on the mistake...?
          Looks good though.

I wanted to chip in on colour. I think cream / white is bad. If you paint the siding a darker colour it will increase how big the space looks. I did this on a project and it is amazing how strong the effect. Also you will not be ashamed to tell people you painted the house magnolia!

See quick mock ups of the colours below... one just the back the other all the siding in a darker colour
          Oh no Gorgon. You've convinced me and now i'll have to borrow more money!

That looks really good and I can see that visual distortion effect your talking about. I remember being taught that one in art school and had forgotten about it. It looks like it adds about 100mm but its that it accelerates the forward effect of the lines. Interestingly the lack of contrast between the posts and deck now makes the post look heavier.
          What do you recommend about the 'Manor Red' guttering and down pipes (I am tempted to leave them as a soft contrast to the black and magnolia), and I was going to use new zincalume for the roof, what say you on that too?
          Last edited by simon seasons; 08-06-2010, 23:22.

Comment

Originally posted by awa View Post
            Entasis on a timber deck
            Thanks Andrew. I knew there was a word for it. Trust you to know it. Do you also know what the word is for the lengthening effect that Kieran has pointed out above?
            Last edited by simon seasons; 25-10-2011, 00:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Markitecture View Post
              Really great deck. The attention to detail you have is amazing.
              Thanks Mark.
              For you, I will also mention that the nails are all driven in a wiggle line (you can see it in the close up in post #88). This is so that the joist below, which has a strong but very straight grain, doesn't have its grain split apart by more than two nails close together in the same grain path. If the nails were all in a dead straight line (as convention usually dictates), it would be much more likely that the grain would split apart and the joist would then hold water and rot around the nails and the nails would rust out.

Comment

I live in a part of the states where we get 70 + inches of rain a year and I don't know anyone as obsessed with water, wood and rot like you. A little OCD are we?

As far as the black column...really? I could see backing off pure white and a lighter shade, maybe a cream wouldn't be as stark, but black I'm not feel it.

Comment

Black cladding, light grey posts and blue orb roof....

I will post a detail for the deck when I have a chance so next time you can do it properly

Comment

Originally posted by nicholas View Post
                    Black cladding, light grey posts and blue orb roof....

I will post a detail for the deck when I have a chance so next time you can do it properly
                    Hmm, as soon as I have it drawn up i'll muck into SU with that one. (Measure up and site survey tomorrow!) Personally, i've always hated blue roofs but Kierensan worked his magic on me about white posts....
                    Last edited by simon seasons; 09-06-2010, 05:53.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmlongman View Post
                      I live in a part of the states where we get 70 + inches of rain a year and I don't know anyone as obsessed with water, wood and rot like you. A little OCD are we?

As far as the black column...really? I could see backing off pure white and a lighter shade, maybe a cream wouldn't be as stark, but black I'm not feel it.
                      What's OCD? Oh! Obsessive Compulsive Disorder perhaps?!

Charcoal perhaps. Nicholas reckons light grey. Can't wait till the SU drawing is done actually so I can muck around with the colour scheme, but I just got a commission to do concept drawings for a school bootcamp village and they want them in a month!
                      I will do my best as I love the help you all give me here. Thankyou.

Comment

• Originally posted by simon seasons View Post
                        Hmm, as soon as I have it drawn up i'll muck into SU with that one. (Measure up and site survey tomorrow!) Personally, i've always hated blue roofs but Kierensan worked his magic on me about white posts....
                        I hate blue roofs as well.... note; blue orb

http://www.lysaght.com/go/product/ly...ustom-blue-orb

Light grey posts will enhance the depth perception by bringing them forward

Comment

• So why the blue orb mate? Are planning a bullnose on the front of the verandah?

I don't mind the dark colour like Keiren is suggesting, but I reckon you need to settle on the roof colour first. Much smaller range of colorbond colours to choose from - and an even smaller range of colours that aren't nausea inducing. Once you get that you can pick a colour to go with it.

(the zincalume might end up being the best bet though)

As for a term for the dark colour effect I don't know of anything other than recession. Dark and cool colours recede, warm and bright colours advance. You'd need a bit of contrast (either tonal or hue) to make the effect even more pronounced. Even something as simple as a brightly coloured pot on the verandah will strike a strong contrast. Even something as simple as doing the architraves in the same hue a few tones brighter will be subtle, but really help to make the walls recede.

Comment

• Originally posted by nicholas View Post
                            I hate blue roofs as well.... note; blue orb

http://www.lysaght.com/go/product/ly...ustom-blue-orb

Light grey posts will enhance the depth perception by bringing them forward
                            As I've said before, you guys are so patient with me. Thanks for the link.

No to the blue orb as I won't be curving the roof and I am thinking of zincalume as its so much cheaper than colourbond, is compatible with existing colourbond guttering (which is just painted zincalume), as awa says a lot of the colours are out of the question.

An added consideration that just came to me about an our ago, when I had the intended builder round for a site inspection and discussion, is that the huge shed roof out the back is galvanised so zincalume will be the closest match to that.

The light grey posts. I have to paint the beam above them and that might mean having light grey next to the existing 'manor red' guttering. Don't know how that will look yet but I think it might be too contrasting for two horizontal colours, but the zincalume might make light grey a great choice as it'll make only one strong horizontal colour within a lot of light grey.
                            Yeah, (thinking aloud), light grey will be closer to my enjoyment of the strong contrast with the present timber colours, which are going to go grey... light grey. Ahh!

Lets keep it open until the roof is settled and drawings are on the comp.
                            Last edited by simon seasons; 09-06-2010, 09:22.

Comment

• The material doesn't need to be curved, it is just the old fashioned corrugated iron...it has a much nicer quality than the standard gal

The photos shows something similar catching the light;
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by nicholas; 09-06-2010, 09:31.

Comment

• Originally posted by nicholas View Post
                                The material doesn't need to be curved, it is just the old fashioned corrugated iron...it has a much nicer quality than the standard gal

The photos shows something similar catching the light;
                                So it goes grey faster than zincalume? Is it compatible with colourbond guttering? I looked in the site literature but can't find a statement re compatibility.

Comment

Working...
                                X