Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Project – RIBA Light at the End of the Tunnel, Newport Street Site - Board 1 Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project – RIBA Light at the End of the Tunnel, Newport Street Site - Board 1

Project – RIBA Light at the End of the Tunnel, Newport Street Site
    Location – London, UK
    Type of Project – Renovation of existing transportation viaducts in London

Design Parameters:
    Links:
    summary
    http://www.hkia.net/view_section.php...4&level_id=126
    more summary
    http://www.hkia.net/news_attach_file...e%20Tunnel.pdf
    detailed information- please see :
    http://www.ribacompetitions.com/

Summarized – we were asked to look at 3 different sites, in order to rejuvenate the existing viaducts which have fallen into ruin. For this particular competition entry, Newport Street was selected, because of its excellent central location and the fact is a completely desolate piece of a London borough, which is presently ignored and forgotten. The site contains a stretch of viaduct that has been abandoned for some time and our concept was to pull a nearby park into and through the viaducts, thus creating a new central neighborhood node for future redevelopment. (Further Design Parameters are listed on the attached boards)

Design Approach:
    Our Solution was the pull the park into the viaduct and the viaduct into the park to create a new neighborhood node, a community library.
    (Full Design Approach is listed on the attached boards)

Outcome: This scheme did not place in the competition.

Team: © Wade Scaramucci, AIA RIBA, Neal Kido, Simon Tomlinson and Lee Brazier
    Software used: Sketchup 4.0, AutoCAD, Photoshop and InDesign
    Critique / Comments are most welcome.
    Attached Files

Project – RIBA Light at the End of the Tunnel, Newport Street Site - Board 2

Board 2/2
    Attached Files

Comment

scara,

I'd recommend you to show image files rather than a zipped file. You'll get many more people looking at your project. Sometimes the sight of a zipped attachment will not make people go the extra yard to look at the project. Just a suggestion...

tr

Comment

image size

Trogers,
        Fair point- I’ve had a great deal of difficulty uploading images that meet the jpg / .pdf restrictions. I suppose this is because I’m uploading competition boards as opposed to individual images. In any case, maybe someone can help me get around this
        (please see
        http://www.pushpullbar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631

Comment

Originally posted by Scaramucci
          Trogers,
          Fair point- I’ve had a great deal of difficulty uploading images that meet the jpg / .pdf restrictions. I suppose this is because I’m uploading competition boards as opposed to individual images. In any case, maybe someone can help me get around this
          (please see
          http://www.pushpullbar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631
          i didn't have any problems in the past, just had to break down the boards after I posted them to 700 pix max dimension images...I had 10 boards when put together = 12 feet long x 8 feet tall presentation. Look at any of the 5 star archived projects...and I'll just link my post since I've already spoken about it = here.

tr

Comment

Board 1
            Attached Files

Comment

Board 2
              Attached Files

Comment

Really nice presentation.

How wide is that viaduct though?? My ownly concern that is not clear from the bottom board is whether or not you have enough natural light for plants to grow underneath the arches. Pulling the park under there is an interesting solution but even the most shade tolerant plants need some light.

Comment

Thanks - the idea of pulling the park through the viaduct and into the library was this could be achieved by a gradual transition between hardscape to landscape and design it such that it felt like one continuous journey. The viaduct is approx 7 meters across each bay.
                  We have found Sketchup a really useful tool for constructing quick simple 3d imagery, especially when combined with a bit of Photoshop. In a way, I think it lends towards a much cleaner presentation that the perfectly rendered 3d models (though have been playing with artlantis recently, and am getting pretty impressed with it)
                  Last edited by Scaramucci; 09-09-2005, 15:03.

Comment

I prefer make the zip download than to see a to little image that I can´t admire! Especially if it´s a good work like yours!
                    Keep showing us more work like this one and even if you put directly images on the post let us the chance to download the zip file to have a better viewing.

Thanks.

Comment

Couldn't you post each image separately. A lot of people (like me) are just too lazy to download zip files. On PushPullbar we are spoiled from being fed with one image at a time.

Comment

Nice presentation. I can´t open the zip file, so, I appreciate that you have put that images. great job. Congratuations

Comment

Working...
                        X