X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Form:uLA- POD3

a project "under development" [to be read: whenever i get an hour here or there...]

POD 3

This is the 3rd in a series of POD's [ Personal Occupancy Devices ].. that investigate new, compressed domesticity concerns [limited space... the collapse of the WORK/LIVE/PLAY triangle... limited function... etc...] in the language of the 'machine for living'.

This project is organized in two major zones: the private and public. Nothing earth-shattering in terms of the organizational structure. Dwelling for single occupant with [obviously] one vehicle. NO site- this is a prototypolgy.

Facing the POD, the private is on the left, thus leaving the public zone on the right [and entry], divided by an HVAC and storage "wall". Restroom is on immediate right as you enter.

Playing with operable facade[s]... identity of "house" as a facade folly...
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

interior scheme- public zone
      Attached Files

Comment

sans skin- framing and HVAC wall exposed [public zone]
        Attached Files

Comment

interior and facade @ entry
          Attached Files

Comment

interior[s]
            Attached Files

Comment

plan showing public zone [colored ] on right.. private on left

HVAC/storage wall system in blue

please keep in mind this is a diagramming and sketch exercise... sketchup , for me, happens to be a wonderful sketching tool...
              Attached Files

Comment

interior showing bathroom, reflecting pool, and access bridges
                Attached Files

Comment

section at entry court
                  Attached Files

Comment

maybe this drawing from the original POD series will stimulate some discussion...
                    Attached Files

Comment

welcome...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Form:uLA View Post
                        compressed domesticity concerns [limited space... the collapse of the WORK/LIVE/PLAY triangle... limited function... etc...] in the language of the 'machine for living'.
                        I like the image in post 10 and the light flare in post two but i am a little confused as to what you are trying to achieve.

If you are trying to deal with concerns of limited space why have you shown so much superflous 'things' overhanging/wraping/folding and increasing the PODs footprint?
                        If have never seen a machine that looks like the POD you have shown. When you described your POD as a 'Machine for living' i think of a utilitarian dealing with space.However this seems a bit perfunctory and whimsical, what is driving you space/form generation? Why do you describe it as "in the language of the 'machine for living'."

Am I being to literal in my interperatation of your images? Are you only describing space diagramatically?

Comment

There is something very intriguing about your work,albeit high tech doodles in sketch up- but after quite some time pondering your work and my ability to understand it i've confirmed my belief that you are the taylor of the Emperor's new clothes. Not an insult in any way really, most architects strive to be this subconsciously.
                          Last edited by lewisuk; 21-02-2008, 03:55.

Comment

Originally posted by AgentVlin View Post
                            I like the image in post 10 and the light flare in post two but i am a little confused as to what you are trying to achieve.

If you are trying to deal with concerns of limited space why have you shown so much superflous 'things' overhanging/wraping/folding and increasing the PODs footprint?
                            If have never seen a machine that looks like the POD you have shown. When you described your POD as a 'Machine for living' i think of a utilitarian dealing with space.However this seems a bit perfunctory and whimsical, what is driving you space/form generation? Why do you describe it as "in the language of the 'machine for living'."

Am I being to literal in my interperatation of your images? Are you only describing space diagramatically?
                            i too am a little confused... it makes the journey all the more pleasurable.. ..

ok:
                            i don't necessarily see things such as 'overhanging/wrapping/folding as being in opposition to the idea of compressed FUNCTIONAL space [i guess I did not make that very clear in my original post...]. NOr do i see the removal of any experimentation or expression as a result from a efficiency of program collapse. But you raise interesting questions- such as the notion of reduction equaling removal...

I'm glad you have never seen a POD like this before. That tells me I am doing something [my own thing] right.

I guess I don't subscribe to the ideology behind the "machine for living" as being reduced to only efficiency, as one might have thought of machines of the past. There is a great quote by Wright, describing the creator of the machine.., something to the effect of... "... it;s about time the artist got hold of the switch...".. Our work has ALWAYS, first and foremost, been about celebrating the machine. We view architecture as a man-made, artificial act.. and the machine is, to us, the essential manifestation of "artificial".. so the sum equals, at least for Form:uLA, the machine architecture.

in reference to the diagram.... i think that ANY representation of space [i.e. drawings, models, digital environments. etc...], anything other than the "real" built work... IS a diagram of space [or program, or intent..etc]. SOme come more close to depicting "reality" [what the hell IS that exactly????] than others, but all all diagrammatic from a certain point of view, if you will indulge me that license. NOe of it is real, until it's built... right??

Comment

Originally posted by lewisuk View Post
                              There is something very intriguing about your work,albeit high tech doodles in sketch up- but after quite some time pondering your work and my ability to understand it i've confirmed my belief that you are the taylor of the Emperor's new clothes. Not an insult in any way really, most architects strive to be this subconsciously.
                              i'm not quite sure what you mean by that... but damn if I don't like the way it sounds!

Comment

Working...
                              X