Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed Use Building in NYC

Project - Undergraduate Thesis Project
    Location - Hudson Yards, New York City
    Type of Project - Mixed Used Building (commercial, office, residential)
    Design Parameters - Subway tracks under site, part of site must be park area

For my thesis project I decided to do a mixed-use building in the Hudson Yards district of New York City. Currently I am the the site analysis stage and looking at a couple of differnt sites but I believe this is the site I will use. Right now the city wants to redevelope that area so I though it would be a good project for me since I live about an hour away from NYC. The site I picked is currently a subway line hud that they are moving else where but the lines underneath will remain. The area of the site is about 500,000 SF with about 200,000 SF of space on the eastern part of the site for the building footprint.

I was thinking of have a the building sectioned off into 3 main sections for commercial, office, and residential spaces as well as having an entrance to get to the subway lines.

So what does anyone think of the site choice? Green lined area is required park space and the rend is the lot area.
    Attached Files

There is potential on the site, is there a subway station near the site? Or would you almost go as far as proposing a new station?

Do you have any surrounding photos to get a feel for the context? By your post it sounds like it's a pretty old/run-down area, hence why they are looking to re-develop it.

I've never used subways before, so how noisy are they? Will residents be affect by it?

Looking forward to some proposals

Comment

Right now there is no subway station, it is mainly a a train depo right now and the city wants to create a connection to the rest of the subway systems some time in the future so I would probably put some type of subway station in or under my building. The surrounding buildings are anywhere from 8-20 stories but the city plans to create a large park through the center of this site and take out a few buildings up to 10 blocks north to create it as well, so there will be a lot of green space in the center of the site and to the north of it.

With the right structure and sound dampening material you won't be able to hear the subway at all except in the subway lines. And its not that the area is run down, its that a lot of the buildings, and spaces are under utlized and its the last major area for new devoplemt in NYC so they plan to start on this area after they finish the World Trade Center site. When I saw that I new Hudson yards would be a perfect spot to do my thesis at.

This is what the City wants to do for the area:

The new Hudson Yards district will accommodate a major and vital expansion of the Midtown central business district, as well as job growth and new housing for the City's growing population.
      http://www.hydc.org/html/home/home.shtml

I also don't have any surrounding photos The only time I've been to the site I didn't have my camera so after this semester during break I'm going to bring my camera and take some site photos.
      Last edited by aprince; 05-12-2011, 05:12.

Comment

Looks like a low rise area of New York, in which case a big part of your thesis should be about community amenity and the research thereof. You couldn't just plonk anything there and hope for the best or you risk making a ghost town. I would steer well away from separating the functions out from each other as that's too ghettoing on such a large site. I would expect more success with a lot of residential and variations of it above first and second storeys, including green park space accesible to new tenants and existing surrounding community life. Reserve all the ground floor to commercial and some office, a lot of the second to office, and all the rest residential except maybe some cafe's and nightclubs up higher with good views. You could theoretically create a large courtyard park if you keep the build to five storeys or below.

Comment

Bit of a tall-order, considering aprince has only two posts counted (two posts in this thread), but any updates on this project? If you are still around the site

Comment

I just had an interim critique this week and so far my professors and the guest critiques liked it. I updated the project to include the other factors that the city wants on the site. The master plan for the site calls for a residential building and a cultural center to be added to the site on the western side. From advice form my professors I will only be proposing those building (just designing the exterior) and focusing in the larger mixed use building on the west side of the site. This building will consist of a 5 level base with an interior garden to tie into the large park the city is constructing. There will also be two 45 story towers on the northern and southern ends of the base as well with terraces or balconies on each level and a 5 story open plaza space cut into the building.

One of my main goals is to make this building as green as possible and provide cheaper rental space than surrounding areas in the city. I am also trying to reduce the amount of waste the building produces by have a recycling and processing center in the building which would reduce the amount of waste that has to be trucked away. On many of the floors of the tower as well as the roof top of the base will be green roofs and terraces. I believe that this will provide a different look of a traditional skyscraper (steel and Glass) and provide a large green space in the middle of Manhattan. To water the plants and trees that are non edible I will reuse the grey water from the building and city that is wasted and sometimes dumped right in the Hudson River everyday.

Here are some of the images that I used for the presentation that show some more about my project. And if anyone else has any questions or comments on the project so far please feel free to let me know.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by aprince; 25-02-2012, 21:39.

Comment

Here are some more images of a study model of my building and an image from the city on how the structure of the platform my site will rest on.

EDIT: The black base in the pictures is just a quick thing I put together and the model is not sitting on it properly except for the first image.
              Attached Files

Comment

do something perhaps unbuildable and extreme..., like carry the railroad up into the sky or something - perhaps a roller coaster theme park that "makes resuse" of the existing tracks somehow. What I'm seeing is van Berkel like and boring. I see potential for a fierce roller coaster drop... gosh, maybe I should take up a lecturing position one day and bring the fun back into architecture school...

Comment

I think this is great. Not boring at all!
                  It looks like well reasoned out and the plan looks like it makes sense.
                  I find some of the articulation of the towers a bit odd, like the holes in the building and some of the "dents" but overall I'd give the towers the thumbs up. The base cut out, the V, doesn't fill me with awe and wonder but that might be as much to do with the model as anything else. Do you have any drawings you could upload? esepcially ones that show the flavour and scale of some of the external spaces

Comment

Originally posted by spadestick View Post
                    do something perhaps unbuildable and extreme..., like carry the railroad up into the sky or something - perhaps a roller coaster theme park that "makes resuse" of the existing tracks somehow. What I'm seeing is van Berkel like and boring. I see potential for a fierce roller coaster drop... gosh, maybe I should take up a lecturing position one day and bring the fun back into architecture school...
                    The railroad will still be in use so I can't do anything with it. I also need to make sure its buildable as I have to do structural information for it.

Originally posted by gorgon
                    I think this is great. Not boring at all!
                    It looks like well reasoned out and the plan looks like it makes sense.
                    I find some of the articulation of the towers a bit odd, like the holes in the building and some of the "dents" but overall I'd give the towers the thumbs up. The base cut out, the V, doesn't fill me with awe and wonder but that might be as much to do with the model as anything else. Do you have any drawings you could upload? esepcially ones that show the flavour and scale of some of the external spaces
                    I'll try and upload some pictures to show how the exterior looks from eye level if I have them with me. If not I'll just model it quick in Revit and upload a picture. Also I added the V shap to the base to add something different than a flat wall. I experemented with a curved wall but it didn't look right, so I tried the V shape for now but it isn't permanant. The hole in the towers are ment to provide elevated veiwing spaces to lookout over the Hudson River and the rest of NYC
                    Last edited by aprince; 27-02-2012, 15:35.

Comment

Heres a view I did real quick of standing on the lot looking at the building. You can see the people scale figures by the glass wall on the bottom.
                      Attached Files

Comment

sigh... you won't know what you're missing by the time you graduate! I sometimes think I could have had a lot of fun during architecture school with the projects, because once you're out there, it's all rules and regulations and specs, of which can be easily picked up on the job training in less than a week, then it becomes like this for the rest of your career.

Ok now for the boring part - the scheme is decent - towers are ok but the podium block is awfully dissimilar in language for no good reason - how about tying the 2 together in one cohesive scheme?

I wished students would become artists for awhile and do the impossible for the most parts of their education - this will help them break paradigms and also get them a good portfolio for which any good firm would take in. All firms expect fresh grads to know nothing except fancy graphics and photoshop. Stop trying to meet the FAR and all other developer driven dribble... break that stuff - the world is going into a global recession, and the last thing we need is another yes man for the job. not one of the Star-architects including the very modest ones like Glenn Murcutt had a standard education - they went further... they went beyond and above what was required of them in terms of obsession...
                        Last edited by spadestick; 27-02-2012, 16:47.

Comment

I would like to do that but if its not structuraly possiable some of the professors don't like it and will just keep asking me about structure and how it supports itself without falling down. The school I'm at now (alfred State College) is a technical based school that is recently moving mopre into the design aspect, we had to do construction documents for buildings we did 2 years ago. I'm still going to grad school so I will hopefully have the oppertunity to do crazy innovative buildings there without have to be asked about structure all the time. I also have 10 more weeks to further this design so I'm not close to finalizing the design, these where mainly for a critique so my professor knew what we where working on so far. Thank you for the advice though, I'll try working on making it a little more extreme.

Comment

I wouldn't take Spadestick exactly at his word re the desirability of structural knowledge as apposed to artistic knowledge. His point is in there and it's more about cohesion and actually being artful, but you cannot push the envelope until you know how it was folded.

To me, my tuition and my intuition, has shown me that a really good grasp on structural possibility opens up far more artistic possibilites than you might otherwise imagine. They are like hand and glove in the end where ever you may end up. You need both and a good foundation in structure is the best foundation to build art on. I agree with Gorgon. This is a great start and I especially like that you have expressed the structure in the facade treatment. Take a look at Murcutt's early training and it was all about structure and nothing else for several years.

PS. I think your main structures are very artful, but Spade does have a point re the podium etc, Keep at it.
                            Last edited by simon seasons; 28-02-2012, 02:26.

Comment

Yes Spadestick is going nuts!

Comment

Working...
                              X