• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concrete Social Housing Competition - 5th Year

Hi there, I believe this is my first post here

Anyways, here's the project info:
    Location - Guatemala City, Guatemala.
    Type of Project - Masterplan, Mix-Use (Residential-Commercial) Buildings.
    Design Parameters - The competition was sponsored by Cementos Progreso, who (whom?) wanted students to design social housing of various needs along with the masterplan in which they would reside. The design was to be presented in 3 separate images, with single family residence, multi-family and masterplan, each presented in one iamge.
    Design Approach - We (me and my partner) decided to construct both single and multi-familiar housing with one system: reinforced casted concrete for the structures skeleton, and prefabricated elements to close the gaps (ceilings, walls, etc.)
    Tools/Programs- Sketchup Pro 8, Vray and Photoshop CS3
    Sorry if I confuse anyone with my english, and if I missed any information, feel free to ask =B
    Attached Files

Exterior Images for urban Spaces and neighborhoods
    Attached Files

Comment

Single-Family Residence and interiors
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi, thanks for posting your work. Could you add plans, sections and elevations of the houses.

I find the 360 panoramics distracting.

Comment

There is a lot of work here and would be good to see it at a bit more of a manageable scale.

Im not sure i agree with Gorgon on the 360 shots. I think they are interesting in that they really focus on the street and spaces between buildings rather than the buildings themselves.....a very important part of any masterplan. What i think lets them down is the lack of anything of any interest happening in the streets....so perhaps not fulfilling their use very well. How did you create them anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by ajwtaylor View Post
            There is a lot of work here and would be good to see it at a bit more of a manageable scale.

Im not sure i agree with Gorgon on the 360 shots. I think they are interesting in that they really focus on the street and spaces between buildings rather than the buildings themselves..
            But not really in a way that we can critically analyze. There's so much visual eye candy that the design literally fades behind the colors and the graphics. Thats fine because the focus is how to create a compelling pre-fabricated building system, but this just appears to be a stylish marketing competition for Cementos Progresos and without plans, sections, and site sections at an understandable scale, its hard to start a discussion about the success and shortcomings of the design itself.

Comment

Edit: Double Post
              Last edited by Einhander; 22-11-2011, 17:36.

Comment

nice soccer ball!

Comment

gorgon: don't really have detailed drawings for the counstructions, since we had little time for the project and went for a more "sell it with renders" approach. In hidsight i may have taken the wrong turn =B

ajwtaylor: yeah, the lifeless 360 shots would have been much mor helpful with some actual activities going on in them, but realized that a bit too late into the deadline. ah, and did them by overriding the default vray camera and using warped with 359.9°

spadestick:
                  Last edited by Ievilla; 25-11-2011, 00:51.

Comment

edit: double post

Comment

My critique wasn't meant to be as harsh as it came through, but I'm personally bored of just seeing render boards. Your approach is valid though, as many people make sales via pretty pictures and there's genuinely something to that.

I have a friend who does design for Bose. His digital and hand work makes a mockery of all architectural renderings and while that's the nature of industrial product design, it still emphasizes that there's a function aspect to how floors and sections work in relationship to each other that is hard to convey in experiential drawings.

If this was an ID board, then sure, lets talk about how sexy that rendering came out. But here?

Hell, throw up some sketches of your process. Lets talk about the music your pen made with some trace paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Ievilla View Post
                        the lifeless 360 shots would have been much mor helpful with some actual activities going on in them,
                        The worst thing about them is that they may deceive the viewer into thinking they're rounded curved facades. I recommend being as visually truthful as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by simon seasons View Post
                          The worst thing about them is that they may deceive the viewer into thinking they're rounded curved facades.
                          Lol! I began thinking well if your viewer is that daft then....but actually you may well have a point if you are presenting to lay people!

Kinda funny though!

Comment

I agree, needs some more plans to critizie here and the 360 degree picture is a bit confusing

Comment

I think that missing sections and elevations, but the renderings still give a good idea of the project. Maybe the layout would be clearer if there were more empty.

Comment

Working...
                              X