X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community Centre - Njoli Square, Port ELizabeth, South Africa

Greetings pullbologists. My first time venturing on ppb2 so heres hoping for a good start. Thanks for taking time out to read my entry, much respect. Your comments, critiques and interest will be much appreciated and extreamly fruitfull on reaching a successful outcome to my project. So here goes, the introduction of my project:

PROJECT: Architectural Technology: Btech (Applied Design) – Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) 2010

LOCATION: Corner of Njoli & Maronga street, Kwazakhele Township, Port Elizabeth, South Africa

PROJECT NATURE: Educational/urban/communal

DESIGN PARAMETERS: The intent is to regenerate a precinct that has potential to a meaningful public space for a segregated settlement affected by sprawl. Incorporating the community centre that will combine civic functions, as well as socio-economic functions. Provision of these functions in the locality will influence a localised dependency, which is a key factor of urbanisation to enclave townships.

DESIGN APPROACH: Creating a building that is integrated into the urban context allowing it to be part of the public realm more spatially in a centre where there is co-existence of mixed activities. The public zone, ‘urban carpet’ of Njoli square, needs to continue and extend into the community centre thresholds and courtyard spaces.

DRAWINGS: Site analysis, Aerial photos as well as personal Photographs taken upon visiting the site. Concept sketches, plans, sections, elevations, partwall sections, details,3D visualizations of the proposed design and 3D interior visualizations.

TOOLS/PROGRAMS: Google SketchUp 7Pro, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Coral Draw, AutoCAD and 3Ds Max.

INTRODUCTION
    The proposed site is located within the highly active realms of KwaZakhele, Njoli Square, Port Elizabeth, South Africa.

With major activity along both street edges, this allows the Resouce Community Centre to integrate itself within the surrounding commercial and residential zones.

The surrounding sites along Njoli square are zoned as residential. But as this street has become a commercial strip linking highly commercial zones, people have taken advantage and converted their homes into commercial businesses.

Therefore the Community Center will serve as a linking point between the two zones as well as establishing a civic resence and providing the commercial strip with a meaningful variety of mixed-used functions.
    Attached Files

Nature of the site

The site sits in a central locality within the township on a busy traffic intersection that forms the backbone to the vibrant commercial activity and is highly accessible from neighbouring townships.

Currently, the precinct serves as a social and commercial hub to Kwazakhele. This sets an ideal scene for civic functions and service orientated projects due to the high level of integration factor owed. In its location, the community centre will provide a civic presence as well as provide the precinct with a meaningful variety of mixed use to the user.
    Attached Files

Comment

melee,

thanks for putting your work out there. South Africa is such a diverse and interesting place and I'm glad to see a project context being posted from there. My first reaction to seeing your context is the Library project from Will Aslup in Peckham (London). See thread about it here... http://www.pushpullbar.com/forums/sh...ary-Will-Alsop

Can you start the tell us about the design and your approach? Has the design process started for you yet, or are you still researching and gathering information before starting the design process? Can you elaborate a little as well on the building you will design? I'm a little unclear what this building will be about... Like the types of spaces it will have, etc. to meet the demands of the community it will serve.

Comment

Originally posted by wizum View Post
        melee,

thanks for putting your work out there. South Africa is such a diverse and interesting place and I'm glad to see a project context being posted from there. My first reaction to seeing your context is the Library project from Will Aslup in Peckham (London). See thread about it here... http://www.pushpullbar.com/forums/sh...ary-Will-Alsop

Can you start the tell us about the design and your approach? Has the design process started for you yet, or are you still researching and gathering information before starting the design process? Can you elaborate a little as well on the building you will design? I'm a little unclear what this building will be about... Like the types of spaces it will have, etc. to meet the demands of the community it will serve.

Hi Wizum, Thanks for the comment
        Am familiar with the Peckham Library and am extremely fond of it. Though my project is mostly focused on resourcing an extremely disadvantaged community that has, in a sense, become a "human dumping ground" for those less fortunate, due to the outcome of the Apartheid regime.

The project is proposed to be a catalyst in revitalising the community by providing them with resources that will promote regrowth. Also, keeping in mind the use of materials, sustainability and maximizing the footprint with minimal impact by not necessarily having to recreate the urban grain.

I will post rough drafts of the program and more pictures of the site, as well as initial design proposal. Just needing to gather my docs and resizing them for upload

Comment

Site surroundings

Here are just a few more images of the surroundings to my site, just to give more clarity on the dense fabric of the urban grain and also for a graphic understanding of the economical disadvantages that the Kwazakhele community lives in.
          Attached Files

Comment

Site Analysis

A brief site anylises indicating natural impacts to the site.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Melee; 12-10-2010, 12:42.

Comment

Hi,

This is a interisting project. I think there would be a lot of factors to considder in the design process like, security, access and the seperration between public and private. I think the sucsess of a building of this nature would depend on how accesseble it for the comunity

Comment

Originally posted by rockdog View Post
                This is a interisting project. I think there would be a lot of factors to considder in the design process like, security, access and the seperration between public and private. I think the sucsess of a building of this nature would depend on how accesseble it for the comunity
                Hi Rockdog.
                So far its been a chalinging process but all seems to be falling together. You right, the success of this project is to insure that it knits well within the community, hnece the reason its a Community Centre.

Comment

Accomodation Schedule

Below is just a rough brain storm diagram through the accomodation schedule for the Community Centre.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Contex Strengths and Weaknesses of Kwazakhele

Just a quick tabulated analysis of the strength and weaknesses of the surrounding contex.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Design Objectives

Another brain storm through what is required from the proposed Community Centre.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Architectural Issues

These are a few issues i jotted down whilst analysing the site contex.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Graphical Section

Section through site context showing activity nodes and public edges.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Graphical Section #2

Section showing street condition of residentual edge and how the space is defined .
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post
                              Hi Wizum, Thanks for the comment
                              Am familiar with the Peckham Library and am extremely fond of it. Though my project is mostly focused on resourcing an extremely disadvantaged community that has, in a sense, become a "human dumping ground" for those less fortunate, due to the outcome of the Apartheid regime.
                              Melee,

Relatively speaking, and from my visit and comments from my friend who lives in London, the Peckham area is what I think could be considered a "disadvantaged" community. Of course this is all relative, but is the reason I brought up the Library specifically. From my understanding there is a large council housing population. The library sits as a "jewel" within, or very close, to a very diverse and interesting market area. I think the ideas of what architecture can do for improving a community is exemplified in the Peckham project. The study of those issues and how that worked there I think would be beneficial. Of course you know your context much better than I so I could be wrong in comparing the two. Good luck and I look forward to seeing how this project progresses.

Comment

Working...
                              X