Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help for "green roof"

Hi to everyone!
    I have to do a plain “green roof” where people can walk on (like the one in the foto), but I really don't know how much high the soil should be in order to support such activity....
    Attached Files

challenging project!

is that photo real or a model?

Comment

Actually it's a photo taken from the web as an example...It looks like an existing building to me...

Comment

Rouser, weirdly just had a CPD from a company that do this today

http://www.spectraroof.co.uk/pages/p...105&ProdID=197

follow the link to the pdf theres quite a lot of info in there

Comment

Originally posted by Rouser View Post
          Actually it's a photo taken from the web as an example...It looks like an existing building to me...
          The image is of the roof of Chicago City Hall

Comment

It's the Chicago City Hall. More here.

edit: James, don't type so fast next time. Give the old guy a chance.
            Last edited by gaffaman; 28-04-2009, 21:59.

Comment

Thanks LOAM!Really useful link....

Comment

I did some research and looks like “green roofs” are not made for pedestrian traffic...

Comment

Here in Holland I once did a project with Zinco. Unforunately is their mainsite only in dutch but they have partnerships over the world. Check here.
                  The Canadian partner has a big english site with cad-details etc.

Also try a ppb-search. I found a member Antonio Giglio who i passionated about green walls and roofs. Give it a try and send him a message.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by _dutchy View Post
                    Here in Holland I once did a project with Zinco. Unforunately is their mainsite only in dutch but they have partnerships over the world. Check here.
                    The Canadian partner has a big english site with cad-details etc.

Also try a ppb-search. I found a member Antonio Giglio who i passionated about green walls and roofs. Give it a try and send him a message.

Good luck!
                    Thanks a lot _dutchy!Great links!...

Comment

I did some research and looks like “green roofs” are not made for pedestrian traffic...
                      I have to correct myself!!!!!!!!
                      Seems that here are two types of green roofs: Extensive green roofs, which are not suitable for pedestrian traffic and Intensive green roofs, that are multifunctional and accessible..

Comment

On a project I am currently working on, I am using a minimum of 6" of dirt over a drainage mat and a waterproof membrane. There are products you can use to stabilize the dirt in a similar way you do in unstable landscaping. So if stability isn't necessarily a problem you should provide enough depth to sustain your planting.

Comment

I didn't check the above link for the Canadian connection, so This may be a duplication. Here is a very good system, well backed by tech support. http://www.soprema.ca/en/content/9/toiture.aspx
                          Good technical drawings available as well.

Comment

Originally posted by taxodaxo View Post
                            I didn't check the above link for the Canadian connection, so This may be a duplication. Here is a very good system, well backed by tech support. http://www.soprema.ca/en/content/9/toiture.aspx
                            Good technical drawings available as well.
                            Thanks a lot!

Comment

Rouser,

Below are some general guidelines for green roofs found in the Landscape Architecture Technical Information Series, Green Roof Infrastructure, by the American Society of Landscape Architecture by Steven Peck.

Extensive I- 6” or less of min. soil depth, often inaccessible to pedestrians, weighing 10-35 lbs./s.f., with low plant diversity available, low initial cost and minimal maintenance.

Intensive – more than 6” of soil depth, usually accessible to pedestrians, weighing 50 -300lbs./s.f., with the greatest plant diversity available, highest initial cost and highest maintenance cost.

Semi-intensive – combines both intensive and extensive (each category accounting for at least 25% of the green roof area, may be partially accessible, weighing between 30 – 50 lbs./s.f., with good plant diversity, cost and maintenance varies with the design.

I’ll attach some pdfs of manufacture here in the state for the different systems.

Comment

Working...
                              X