Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House in Geelong, Update and version 4 - The Final

Preceding thread HERE

Originally posted by Richard View Post
    I always feel garages are a great waste over possible covered recreational space.
    If only clients would listen, Richard.... I have tried to convince many a client of this needless waste of space, not to mention the obvious light and ventilation benefits...
    Last edited by SWANK-E; 11-11-2011, 05:11.

Hey T,

I know you've been a busy lad, but have you progressed this one at all?

Comment

awa, the whole thing has been revisited - there was an issue with site coverage which meant that planning approval would be required. As a matter of principle I don't want to engage the planning process, so it has been redesigned

Comment

A principle close to my heart. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by simon seasons View Post
            That is extremely good on so many levels.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by awa View Post
              A principle close to my heart
              ....if only...

Looking forward to seeing the latest design !

Comment

Ok here it is

Just awaiting engineering comps on the north (glazed) facade
                Attached Files

Comment

Street View

High front fencing retained - entry via secure gate off the driveway

The whole of the north facade is glazing
                  Attached Files

Comment

Aerial view

The whole of the ground floor north facade is made up of multi-fold double glazed panels. This means that when fully open there is no facade!

The same applies to other bedroom/study spaces, but will be most dramatic at ground floor

The upper 2nd Bedroom/study will have a full height wall adjacent the stair, but the stair wall to bedroom 1 will be waist height - making this room very spacious.

MATERIALS - polished slab on ground, bamboo floor to first floor; internal walls - all plasterboard lines, painted white; externally - metal decking at first floor (white), with fibreboard (compressed sheet) to ground level - grey paint finish
                    Attached Files

Comment

Structure

Light weight (stud) construction

Timber trusses to roof - parapet wraps around to "hide" pitch and to create clean visual lines

Two main beams run north south either side of stair to pick up floor joists

Some steel framing in corners of north facade to prevent "twist"

All pretty simple, and clean
                      Attached Files

Comment

tdmc, good work, I like your drawings especially that construction axo.

At first I thought this was your house (how is that going?) it looks so radically different from what you were discussing in this thread earlier.

I like the house itself, which is very clear and bold. I don't like the folding sliding door system though. It looks great when they are not there, but I find them quite ugly when closed up: the frames tend to be chunky and the max width is 1200mm meaning you have a lot of frame. I note you haven't shown the doors in place. When they are open the doors can look a bit ridiculous too, a 1m wide stack of frames... I'm also not conviced about the cost effectiveness.

Compositionally I dislike the garage, which looks very suburban and dominates the house. Is there a way to push that back? Or separate from the house in some way?

Could we see a larger / clearer plan?

Comment

I agree re doors and garage, the other issues are the roof and the 1st storey cladding.

Roof- express it, resolve it.

Cladding, I am thinking this will just get dirty and look tired, what about a different iteration of the FC sheet?

The other concern, albeit slight; is the floor differences- coherence is good, though I understand the cost implications. Have you tested the cost of a bond deck slab? Line the ceiling below with insulation for sound...would give some great thermal mass

...ok, one more; think about the stairs !
                          Last edited by nicholas; 03-02-2010, 12:15.

Comment

It's a big move from where we were eh Tufan.

Pros:
                            - I kinda like the boxiness, it's strong and confident
                            - I don't mind the parapet thing you've got going either, three sides parapet with the fourth open for drainage works ok for me. We haven't seen how you plan to express the rear facade, but the potential is there to wrap the roof back down the back wall.
                            - front courtyard. If that's where the sun is use it.
                            - I don't mind the forward garage either, but expression will determine if it's a win or a fail. If you can make it work as a human space and not just a car storage if could be great. The side facade that opens onto the courtyard can be opened up and can become an additional living space say for parties etc. Maybe have a look at Andrew Maynard's Essex St House. He's used big glazed panel folding doors to open up the space. You could do similar on the front and side of the garage and it can then open up as a living pavillion when you want to.
                            - looks like you're intending to use frameless glass stacking door system on the front, so I don't think gorgon's problem with the frame is going to be an issue, I would suggest maybe stacking them into a cupboard or niche though.

Cons (or maybe just alternative suggestions):
                            - planning seems a little blah. The stair really cuts the space in two. Maybe it can be pulled back a bit further? Or potentially flipped so that it rises to the north (good potential for winter sun to flood straight down the stair to the back of the ground floor for an hour or two?) and have the bathroom accessed directly from both bedrooms? More living space and the front living area downstairs will be more open. Also not sure of the ground floor bed. If this was your study more open to the sitting area with perhaps sliding or pivoting panels to allow it to be closed when required you'll get a bit of the best of both worlds with a larger, more open living space usually, and privacy when required.
                            - Thicker side walls. I think you can really make something more of your side walls by thickening them. They'll look better from the outside I think, and you can use this width to create cupboards, closets, niches etc. Somewhere to hide the panel doors, nice niche for the bed head, window seat etc.
                            - I think the top floor might make things hang a bit better by pushing it over the garage a bit. Just like the idea of the garage intersecting with the main mass rather than just sitting next to it. If you can use some of that roof space as a terrace that could be cool too.
                            - Sunshading. Maybe a screen a la Godsell (timber or steel) that will shade the glazing in summer and let it through in winter. Will also offer a bit more privacy from the street and create a lovely dappled light. Might require additional windows to side walls or rear for daylighting. Can replace the glass balustrade entirely, and perhaps fold out to act as a pergola at ground level?
                            - Walls to upper level around stair. The idea of having a low wall to increase the feeling of spaciousness can be applied to both sides of the stair. Maybe install a sliding or stacking panel system above to close off the wall when required.
                            - Cross ventilation. Seems a bit too closed on three sides to generate any cross ventilation. Don't know where you get your breezes from so it's hard to comment, but maybe some extra window required or perhaps a modern take on a malqaf to use negative pressure on the leeward side to draw out hot air. These could be built into the thick side walls and work using the air passing over the roof to create a negative pressure to suck out the stale air? Need some solid thought on that one, but could make a real difference to your comfort. Nicks suggestion of a massive floor at the top level will also help with comfort.
                            - External expression of stair. You've expressed the stair location on the facade with the red columns, and wall ends, but I think it might be worth looking at making this a more intense element. You could lift the roof over the stair to create highlights and even vents (helps solve the ventilation issue by stack ventilation). This will also really help getting daylight into the back of the house, doubly so if you flip the stair to rise towards the front). You could also project this element beyond the front facade to clearly divide the building into two. By bringing an element up from the ground and wrapping it over the roof you'll create two first floor balconies (even if it is a continuous balcony), and also two courtyards by implication, rather than by actually dividing them. Then you'll have your entry court with the pond and relating to the entry and the sitting area and it will be defined and whole, and a living/dining court that relates to the kitchen/dining area, where you can dine al-fresco and is more a living space than the other side of the court. I'd really think a pergola or other type of covered area here will help define this as a separate space and make it more user friendly.
                            - Back yard. Obviously this is going to be pretty dark, but does it have to be quite such a left over space? Maybe pull the ground floor walls in a bit to give it some width and character. Open out onto it with some glazed panels. In summer it will be the nicest spot in the house on those 40 degree days, and even in winter the small amount of light will still help reduce glare and give a nicer internal daylighting condition. Obviously also helps greatly with ventilation. There are plenty of rainforest plants that will thrive back there and create a beautiful outlook (and generally low maintenance). Maybe also consider moving the water tanks to perhaps create side walls to this space, or even move them into the thick walls - the mass of the water will help with temperature control. Even think about underground tanks. There's a great new system out that uses linked plastic tanks as the replacement form for polystyrene in a waffle slab.
                            - Kitchen. A always like a more direct connection to the outside for kitchens. As I'm suggesting you open up the back wall why not look at bringing the kitchen to the side wall and build it into the thick wall? That way you can do that old thing of extending the kitchen into the courtyard and having the bbq etc all continuous and integrated. It's might be a little cliche, but only because it works so nicely. I nice wall of galley kitchen with a simple island in front will look and work beautifully. It will also give you the freedom to move your dining table to anywhere from right at the rear (and into the rear garden?) on stinking hot days, through the lower level, and out the front into the courtyard on those beautiful sunny mild days.
                            - veges down the side (and chooks too 8) )

Sorry about the length. Hope it gives you some ideas to play with.

Comment

Thanks guys..... just got spooked by the window prices.....

Also have a landscape Arch looking at outdoors spaces....

Comment

Working...
                              X