Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by matahari View Post
    Thanks racer,
    We are constantly updating our site and will include some 20 movies that are posted in this thread but we hadn't noticed yet. Boy on a Dolphin: surely looks camp enough! Gateway to mecca: any more details (director) on that one?
    Our database includes some 400 movies, shorts and documentaries for the public and some 200 are nominated for our 2009 festival. Check out the site for program details somewhere in August and we have an rss feed for news items.

Hello, Matahari. "Gateway to Mecca" was a documentary produced by Owens Corning Fiberglass Corporation featuring the use of their fabric material and the building of the Haj Terminal in Saudi Arabia. This might be more of a curious reference and not appropriate for your festival.

"Boy on a Dolphin" (in my opinion) is dripping in style, not camp: Ferrari 375 America; yacht; The Acropolois and beyond; Asteria (all filmed in CinemaScope)!

Comment

• John Lautner's Elrod Residence

The Elrod residence of Architect John Lautner.
      Used in the James Bond movie "Diamonds are forever"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3UA85yJJko

Comment

• Californication Series 1 house

Originally posted by dtedge View Post
        This house is the house in the show and is David Hertz's house. I used to work for him for about 5 years from 1991-1997. This house was completed in (2) phases. The house on the right was completed first and the second phase on the left was completed several years later. They are doing some very interesting work......check him out.

www.Syndesisinc.com
        www.StudioEA.com

Enjoy!!!

DT
        The Hertz McKinley House featured in World's Greenest Houses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DNgCOCL9BY
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK7axwMy1Hg

Comment

• Ray Kappe, Architect "Benton House", Brentwood,LA, (1987-1994) Californication

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySPopYa4mg0

Comment

Pineapple Express (2008)

As Seen On Screen

"...Designed by architect Rudolph Schindler, the home was built in1941 for writer/composer Jose Rodriguez. Rodriguez's budget was much larger than Schindler's previous commissions, so he was able to lavish the home with green-flecked slate, zinc and copper panels, built-in furniture, and extensive walls of glass."

Attached Files

Comment

• The Rodriguez house is for sale at the moment, at just under 2mill US$.
              Excellent slide show of interior and exterior at;

http://mls.therodriguezhouse.com/

Comment

• RM Schindler, Rodriguez House, Glendale, LA (1940-42)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUCWIeM5b9o

Comment

• The movie HEAT (1995) featuring Robert De Niro featured several Los Angeles architectural landmarks by Morphosis. Notably the Kate Mantilini Restaurant in downtown LA and Thom Mayne's residence, Sixth Street House in Santa Monica.

I'm looking for movie pictures to prove my find (stay tuned), I'll have to watch and clip out the scenes.
                  Last edited by InArch; 22-11-2009, 18:49.

Comment

• Bottle Rocket

This is a hilarious movie starring the Wilson brothers under the direction of Wes Anderson. It featured the Gillin Residence by Frank Lloyd Wright. (Ok, i'll try to look for more pictures).
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by steel.monkee; 04-06-2010, 09:34.

Comment

• Mr. Jones

This movie directed by Mike Figgis (leaving las vegas) was released in 1993. It stars Lena Olin and Richard Gere. I'm not a big fan of dramas but you can see in the film Louis Kahn's Salk Instutute.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by steel.monkee; 04-06-2010, 09:36.

Comment

• Bottle Rocket - Wes Anderson (1996)

Originally posted by steel.monkee View Post
                        this is a hilarious movie starring the wilson brothers directed by wes anderson. it featured the gillin residence by frank lloyd wright. (ok, i'll try to look for more pictures).
                        Here are some more images of the (freshly burgled) Gillin Residence by FLW from the movie Bottle Rocket.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• And a Google Earth placemark just for the great view from above.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Burn After Reading (2008)

Burn Affter Reading is a dark comedy about 2 gym workers trying to get money from selling "CIA information" to the russians.
                            This all-star cast movie is written and directed by the COen brothers. To name, it stars Tilda Swinton, Frances Mcdormand, John Malkovich, George Clooney and Brad Pitt (who has his own following here, judging by the number of threads dedicated to him, hehehe).
                            The building featured in this film is the HUD Building of Marcel Breuer which is located in Washington DC.

Google said that in July 2000 it's officially renamed to Robert C. Weaver Federal Building, in honor of the former secretary.
                            In the movie, this building housed the Russian Embassy where the 2 gym workers and buddies, pitt and mcdormand, went to sell the stuff to the russian rep.

(SPOILER) The "CIA Stuff" is actually a copy of john malkovich's (trivial) financial records which his wife (tilda swinton) gave to the divorce lawyer. The divorce layer staff works out in the gym and accidentally left the CD in the locker room, which pitt's co-worker found and turned it over to the manager (Ted Jenkins). Pitt checked the files and thought they were "intelligent CIA shit" that they can use for blackmailing.

Picture 2 shows them inside the office of a russian embassy representative talking him into accepting what they are offering (when they handed the CD the russian guy says: PC or MAC? i thought that was hilarious).

When i looked at the images i found in google, i didn't expect the building to actualy look friendly and welcoming because in the movie it evoked the feeling of coldness and isolation, a very "USSR" feeling. TOo bad i don't have the stills from the movie showing the exterior shots.

I'd like to acknowledge my sources: picture 1 was taken from here
                            and picture 2 here
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Reji; 04-05-2010, 07:39.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmern View Post
                              The International looks like the new sure hit among architects. I want to see it.
                              Sure! Not onl the Gugenheim, but many architectural icons, like the Saha Hadid Museum in Germany (at the end of the movie).

Comment

• Originally posted by sigue2000 View Post
                                Here are some more images of the (freshly burgled) Gillin Residence by FLW from the movie Bottle Rocket.
                                More from Bottle Rocket. The third one is a still with James Caan on the piano.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by steel.monkee; 02-10-2010, 15:02.

Comment

Working...
                                X