X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [article] SketchUp sold to Trimble

here is a link to the Google/Trimble conversation on the Sketchucation forum:

http://forums.sketchucation.com/view...p?f=10&t=44881

Could be good in the same breath, may be horrible.

Trimbel at least for now is going to keep and even keel.

As one person said in the SU forum, at least Autodesk didn't buy them.
    Last edited by SWANK-E; 27-04-2012, 02:19.

Looks official now. Image frome here. SketchUp Site. SU blog.
    Attached Files

Comment

The one great thing about Google was that it has absolutely no qualms about outside developers creating plugins and whatnot in order to better suit certain users and improve the software as a whole. I wonder if Trimble will be so open with its software to continue to support these plugins.

Comment

This sounds very worrying - the cheerfulness of Sketchup will be taking a beating with the serious and boring nature that Trimble's website portrays. It looks like a convoluted, over engineered, over managed company with large overheads and multi-layered hierarchial type of corporation which contrasts greatly from what Google or the previous founders are totally about. When do we jump ship? Is there an alternative out there? Trimble looks like they made their billions through the "All Seeing Eagle Eye" system.. in other words, billions pumped into their coffers by govt. agencies in order to track the population in a draconian communistic age - all about command and control.... sigh. You can't even find sketch up in their crappy website menus, and probably have to trudge through multiple web pages of useless information before you get there. Well, it was good fun while it lasted. Bye bye sketchup.
        Last edited by spadestick; 27-04-2012, 06:54.

Comment

bonzai3D might be what disaffected users will jump ship to. AutoDesSys are probably licking their lips in anticipation.

Comment

Originally posted by spadestick View Post
            This sounds very worrying - the cheerfulness of Sketchup will be taking a beating with the serious and boring nature that Trimble's website portrays. It looks like a convoluted, over engineered, over managed company with large overheads and multi-layered hierarchial type of corporation which contrasts greatly from what Google or the previous founders are totally about. When do we jump ship? Is there an alternative out there? Trimble looks like they made their billions through the "All Seeing Eagle Eye" system.. in other words, billions pumped into their coffers by govt. agencies in order to track the population in a draconian communistic age - all about command and control.... sigh. You can't even find sketch up in their crappy website menus, and probably have to trudge through multiple web pages of useless information before you get there. Well, it was good fun while it lasted. Bye bye sketchup.
            Google's webpage for SketchUp wasn't the best neither. I also find it convoluted and a lack of true support.

Comment

I am a bit concerned that much is made of the continuing free version of SU, but no mention if the Pro version will continue at it's present price. !!!
              Last edited by simon seasons; 27-04-2012, 10:05.

Comment

The sketchup team itself seems very positive about the move (at least, that is what they communicate on sketchucation...).
                It's quite clear that they had more ambitions to take sketchup forward than what google has actually released. The strength of SU is still the same as years ago. The last updates contained some handy improvements, but were really not what people were hoping for...

Trimble is into surveying and laserscanning, they own Tekla, ... So their expertise combined with the ease of use of sketchup might be very promising for architects! My dream: standard simple sketchup (with an update UI - the graphics look really outdated...), Sketchup architecture Pro with more BIM oriented tools based tools. And a plugin that makes textured models based on 3D scans. With some sliders to determine resolution vs abstraction. The last one will still take a couple of years I guess, the technology to do this still has a long way to go...

Comment

Originally posted by SWANK-E View Post
                  Google's webpage for SketchUp wasn't the best neither. I also find it convoluted and a lack of true support.
                  yes, but it was dedicated to sketchup at the very least. This will probably be dedicated to red light traffic cameras and tracking the fines that go along with it.

Comment

Whatever happened to "in Google we trust?" I was surprised they didn't sell it to Autodesk, at least it's the devil we know better. Maybe Android and the mobile business are getting too big for Google and they had to scrap lesser services, sadly one of which is SketchUp.

Comment

As a long-time SketchUp user I am curious to see how this will turn out.

I can't say I've been blown away by the last few releases of SketchUp, nor have I been impressed by the efforts that were put into further development after SU was purchased by Google. The focus on making it a general purpose tool "for everyone" hasn't made it a better tool for Architecture necessarily. If Timble was able to purchase SU from Google, It's becase Google just isn't that interested in it anymore (as I think we all felt anyway). So, let's hope these guys will give the SU Development team the resources necessary to start fixing and adding new features, while keeping the SU core experience clean.

For the last 3-4 years the real developments for SU have been with the third party developers. Let's hope Timble has sense enough to get the developers on-board, and to incorporate the best features into the core of SU. If Timble doesn't court the best of the current SU developers actively, then they are stupid. I can think of 2-3 they should hire on the spot, and give them anything they want.

Comment

When I mentioned this to a team of civil engineers today they all thought it would be better because Trimble is a market leader in survey equipment etc

(I'd never heard of them)

Comment

you do realize the software was just bought YESTERDAY, i think it would be fair to give them some time on getting a dedicated page. yes, the company may turn it into a boring over-engineered software that's boring to use, but its also possible that they will do sketchup great justice. trimble helped pioneer many gps technologies, hopefully they'll put some of that focus into sketchup as well. As far as bringing "draconian command and control" into this, its a bit fanatical and just clouds what the company actually does, it think it would do more good to try and be more objective.

Comment

My feeling is that the SketchUp team, be it @Last, Google, Trimble or whatever banner they work under, are still to a certain degrees driving the show despite the focus and resources handed down from up above. I don't think it's just the product that was sold, but the team that goes with it. I think they are not stupid and will advice where SketchUp needs to be and because SketchUp had a totally different clientele than what Trimbe is used to, they will/should sure listen to the team. The team thought the Google ride was good for that time, in getting the program noticed by more people, and now it's the 'right time' to move on and further develop the product again. I am sure SketchUp team has been around long enough to really work out its real customer base. Btw, the biggest growing customer base for SketchUp is the construction industry. It doesn't matter as much when you are a day or 2 late in architecture but it's huge money in construction. They see the price of SketchUp tiny in comparison to the potential money saving or losses. Whereas architecture studios are often pretty tight with money.

Comment

well, even if they ruin it, I've still got good old version 8

Comment

Working...
                              X