X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found one not quite modern but with some history. Its a stair build in the 18th century in Monschau / Germany. It is found in the Red House, among other original(!) furnitures of the style rokoko, louis seize, empire. The House has not been destroyed or robbed during the war, all furniture and the famous stair are found as they were installed at their time!

but back to topic:

It is made of massive oak, showing carved little-angel-themes on the sides. It is floating freely between 3 levels! Till now they do not know exactly how the joiners managed to build it.

I'm sorry this is the only picture I found on the net,and it is strongly forbidden to take photos in the house. Its a little bit poor, I agree..
    Attached Files

Comment

• And here's the story why I find it so very charming...

If you look closer to the handrail you can see a big flute (is that the correct word?) big enough for a thumb gliding in it if you are descending it.
      This is called "the Ladies Break"

Imagine the fashion of the 18th century, the women with the huge skirts that made them impossible to see their feet. The flute on the rail stopped at the edge of the 3 stair seen from the floor, so when the Lady of the house floating in a beautiful robe down the stairs with her hand on the rail, she coult feel with her thumb the end of the flute, she would know "ok, 3,2,1, floor, hellokisskiss". very elegant, indeed. nothing would have been more embarassing to fall down the stairs down to the feet of any visitor.
      Last edited by thebear; 08-01-2007, 00:03. Reason: spelling

Comment

• I found this 'ladies break' very inspiring when I was doing a study about a home for disabled people. understanding by touching, Reading by touching.
        A handrail could be used as an information-panel for people who are or are going to be blind, via touch-type.
        In a home one could even have personal information written on the rail, such as 'got the keys?' or 'is the iron still on?' on rail leading towards the door..

Comment

• Marcio Kogan

Estúdio Coser | São Paulo/SP
          Attached Files
          Last edited by SWANK-E; 15-01-2007, 22:46.

Comment

• Fennell Residence
            Portland , Oregon

Robert Oshatz

AR house of the month - 01.'07
            Attached Files

Comment

• Thomas Heatherwick

Stairs for Longchamp store in New York by Heatherwick Studio
              Attached Files

Comment

• Newcastle's blue carpet stair 2001 also by Heatherwick Studio
                Attached Files

Comment

• Architect SebastiŠn Irarrazaval's Casa Lira in Santiago, Chile @ Plataforma Arquitectura
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Architect: John Moore Partners
                    Space frame helical stair in stainless steel with cable tensioning and glass treads.

Comment

• another staircase from spiralstairs.co.uk
                      Conceived for the National Science Centre in Leeds the double helix concept imitates the DNA structure through the bars that radiate from the central box beams.

Comment

• Didnt the Spiral guy post examples of his work a while back?

Comment

• Yeah, but I don't think that we have seen these two already. Eslecially the last one. That is SO cool looking!

Comment

• Originally posted by feigetl View Post
                            Didnt the Spiral guy post examples of his work a while back?
                            Yes I posted some example of our work.
                            The DNA stair in Leeds never got made:mad:
                            We got as far as ordering all the material and then it got canceled!

I was draughtsman on the space frame stair. Can post more detailed photos of it if you want. There are loads more stairs that spiral have done but I didn't really want to swap this post with there stuff. I also have been designing loads of stairs recently but again didn't want to turn this post into an portfolio for myself.

Geoff

Comment

• Sorry for refering to you as the spiral guy :o I think if you have amazing unique pictures of stairs whether they're yours or not, you should post them!

Comment

• Kallos & Turin
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X