X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AIArchitect Fantasy Architecture Issue

The second annual Fantasy Architecture issue of AIArchitect is out and again features a certain PPB member's work.

See what you think.

A certain Lewis W I presume

Comment

I had actually almost forgot that I sent this thing to them. They didn't tell me I had been selected, and I almost didn't check my mail this morning.

There is a Picasa web album with higher res versions of this, along with some alternate images that either were completed after I sent this thing out, or that I didn't like enough to send.

Because there was some interest from a friend a few months back, I also have an album of development work. I had been playing with the idea before I even started grad school, as you can see by the dates.
      Last edited by Lewis Wadsworth; 22-08-2008, 17:12. Reason: minor link change

Comment

Literally fantastic work Lewis.

Comment

Lewis, give us a clue how you processed the images. Some of it reminds me of sketchup, but some looks like a rendering engine?

Comment

Greg,

Although the first 3D version was in Blender, the current model is now entirely SketchUp. And the renderings in the article are entirely created with 2D exports from SketchUp, tweaked, layered, and masked in Photoshop CS3 XT with some supplementary image processing in GIMP. For instance, I would export a "shadows only" 2D; and layer it in CS3 with another gray-scale export that was shaded but with shadows "off", the sun direction reversed and layer transparency set to something like 5%; and layer those on a hidden line-only 2D; and that on 2D export with limited textures that had been converted to a Smart Object and then run through the Filter Gallery Photocopy setting...and then blurred...etc. I really don't do the same thing twice, so it is hard to give you a fixed description of the process.

The very last alternate image in the first web album is Piranesi and Photoshop, taking advantage of Piranesi depth locks and procedural filters to make the background look more like some kind of engraving. Generally I don't find Piranesi that necessary, though. I might use it for some interiors, if I ever get to it.

I've just been asked by email to start a thread about this project...should I? Is anyone else that interested? It would essentially be just an embedded version of the AIArchitect article.
            Last edited by Lewis Wadsworth; 23-08-2008, 04:47. Reason: fixed word order

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis Wadsworth View Post
              I've just been asked by email to start a thread about this project...should I? Is anyone else that interested? It would essentially be just an embedded version of the AIArchitect article.
              Hell yeah!!!
              I'd really think your work deserves a full thread of it own.
              Really inspiring work, mate!

Comment

Okay, thanks. I need to do a little more Friday afternoon work--so much of this day has unexpectedly been spent answering email--and then I'll start a thread on it. In the interest of full disclosure, I should add that a while back, before I knew that this thing would appear anywhere, I posted some of the images on the SketchUp Community Forums. But there's a different emphasis between the two bulletin boards, so perhaps this won't be too redundant.
                Last edited by Lewis Wadsworth; 22-08-2008, 21:22.

Comment

an exceptional read with striking images, as always.
                  Yes, i think you should start your own thread and please include everything you've left out up to this point.

(let's have the step-by-step Lewis commentary as well)

Congrats!

Looking forward to when you have enough for a monograph, so we can poke fun for your academic snobbery!!!
                  as we read every word with our green eyes....
                  Last edited by cheffey; 22-08-2008, 21:45.

Comment

Originally posted by cheffey View Post
                    Looking forward to when you have enough for a monograph, so we can poke fun for your academic snobbery!!!
                    as we read every word with our green eyes....

Here you go
                    ...I'll confess all.

It will be a while before I have enough to publish...I only am managing to do about one thing like this a year. I started a blog a couple of weeks ago to see if the pressure of having to post something reasonably often would make me more productive (in terms of projects that mean something to me but aren't necessarily part of my paying job), but I think it has only added to my sense of time passing away irretrievably.

Comment

Working...
                    X