X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sted View Post
    How about a house that is able to sink down into the ground and then raise back up again with hydraulic jack’s. Or buildings that can relocate themselves by using rotor blades or jet engines to move to another site. What if Architecture was able to defy gravity and fly off to the extremities of the universe.
    What then!
    I dont' know what then? How about you just tell us.

I don't know what this thread is about anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by imasayer View Post
      I dont' know what then? How about you just tell us.

I don't know what this thread is about anymore.
      Me either. Flying houses with hydralic jacks? I am confused.

Comment

I want to live in one of these!! Who's with me? (maybe I should start a poll)
        Attached Files

Comment

useless factoid....
          George Lucas took inspiration for those Imperial Walkers from these shipping container cranes he saw in san francisco.
          Attached Files

Comment

New ideas.

I saw this image as I was looking for Ron Herrons walking city. I know that this is not exactly a new Idea and Future systems have already done something similar not to mention more slick in project 124 Peanut. However at some point in history raising buildings off the ground was a new idea. Unless one could say where these new ideas came from then the only conclusion is that they came from nothing!
            Attached Files

Comment

Wait for it, wait for it....

Ideas are recycled and expanded upon, but the innovation is in its application.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by SWANK-E; 25-03-2008, 22:53.

Comment

Unless one could say where these new ideas came from then the only conclusion is that they came from nothing!
                Attached Files

Comment

However at some point in history raising buildings off the ground was a new idea. Unless one could say where these new ideas came from then the only conclusion is that they came from nothing!
                  Attached Files

Comment

haha...jusst went through the thread, enjoyed it!!

"Ok New Architecture. Well you could start with straight lines. Where do straight lines come from? Utalizing Circles cones cylinders pyramids.How about starting to design exclusively with squares. New Materials are always being invented and new systems of building are born.
                    Then if one wants to go to extremes!
                    How about a house that is able to sink down into the ground and then raise back up again with hydraulic jack’s. Or buildings that can relocate themselves by using rotor blades or jet engines to move to another site. What if Architecture was able to defy gravity and fly off to the extremities of the universe.
                    What then!"

you are talking about improvising existing 'issues' or 'concepts' of levitation o flight, its not new. its application in architecture makes it new architecture? is that your point?
                    however, this is a popular 'starting' point, libeskind has talkd abt 'voids' in his project, 'void=nothingness'?? im confused, what am i talking abt??
                    (loooose ended topic, tooooo many interpretations possible, so let me not get into my personal interpretations!)

Comment

I saw this image as I was looking for Ron Herrons walking city. I know that this is not exactly a new Idea and Future systems have already done something similar not to mention more slick in project 124 Peanut. However at some point in history raising buildings off the ground was a new idea. Unless one could say where these new ideas came from then the only conclusion is that they came from nothing!
                      raising above the ground was a 'solution', where the soil was loose, or where the ground flooded seasonally., it wasnt an artist's move, it was a DESIGNER's move, there IS a CLEAARR difference....

Comment

Unless one could say where these new ideas came from then the only conclusion is that they came from nothing!
                        Not true. Birds have been buildings nests in trees for longer than man has been building and living in buildings. There are fundemental survival reasons why this is a good idea. It didn't come from nothing.

Even ideas that are very stupid ... example: I'll design a house that bounces like a Superball... came from SOMETHING. In this case I thought of a ball then thought of a house and wondered what function this could have if they were COMBINED. I doubt anyone has seriously thought of this idea, but it didn't come from nothing. I know things can bounce and I know houses usually don't... but I decided to think if this is a good idea? Obviously it's aweful unless a practical application could be created for this, but even then it didn't come from nothing.

Comment

but how long can something be new for? the perception of what's new changes very quickly. Often whats new is a product of the time and as you would know time flies. I think we should aim for timelessness.

Comment

Yeah.

Even though I am not a great fan of Daniel Libeskind's Architecture I think some of his theories about Architecture are relevant to this thread.

'In his view Architecture is seen as a spiritual domain, a realm that cannot be visualised, an area of invisible presence since it deals with the unspeakable. Without spiritual content and without a contribution to a deeper understanding of our Being there can be no significance in any building. His work shows us a sensibility that is in agreement with the depths of the human soul. Libeskind has a profound desire for a new time in which the experience of architecture aims at the liberation of space. Here, literature, mathematics, music, astrology, philosophy are all part of the world of human knowledge and it is the task of Architecture to map this knowledge and to add something that did not exist previously.'
                            Marc Schoonderbeek.

The image is a view of a void in Libeskind's Jewish Museum in Berlin.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BrianMyers View Post
                              Not true. Birds have been buildings nests in trees for longer than man has been building and living in buildings. There are fundemental survival reasons why this is a good idea. It didn't come from nothing.
                              I dont think birds were building nests in trees for longer than man has been building. Surely birds are copying humans.

Comment

The image is a view of a void in Libeskind's Jewish Museum in Berlin.
                                It's actually the Holocaust Tower in the Jewish Museum, not the void.

Comment

Working...
                                X