Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I be drinking a cup of coffee in a turtle neck and round framed glasses, or taking a bong rip for this conversation? This is some deep stuff.

Comment

Where does New Architecture come from then? The New didnt exist before therefore it is from nothing. Shouldnt we all be striving for the New or should we just stick with what we have until it wears out and we have nothing again?

Comment

What do you mean by nothing? Stuff was always there to start with.
        All we have done in the last few millennia was move stuff around and rearranged bits of matter to please ourselves.

Comment

you remind me the book "I Ching" (book of changes) from ancient China,
          it talks about from nothing to something...
          here's a site about it
          http://www.iging.com/laotse/LaotseE.htm#1

i do think everything starts from nothing. what interesting here is not it starts from nothing, but the way it grows.

Comment

Hello Sted, I think architecture exists for the same reason art, fashion, design, poetry etc exist; people try to convey some meaning / message. A new message comes from a new notion that is growing in importance (unconsiously) within a large group of people (country / continent / world). The arts are a way to solidify this subconscious notion.

Everyone has their own personal interpretation of the planet / society. It's up to every individual to decide what's important for them. Their work in the arts will reflect on these and will expressed in some form.

Comment

Originally posted by Sted View Post
              Where does New Architecture come from then? The New didnt exist before therefore it is from nothing. Shouldnt we all be striving for the New or should we just stick with what we have until it wears out and we have nothing again?
              Philosophy is in many ways the art of understanding. It could be thought of as the pursuit of wisdom or some might view it as a search for a general understanding of values and reality by chiefly speculative rather than observational means.

In the end, it's the pursuit of the truth or understanding of the truth. To state that "new" came from "nothing" is not correct. Everything came from something even if totally by chance. In this regard either this discussion is faulty and needs re-direction or else it is here to spark debate (which is fine). If it's to spark a debate or line of thought, we need to have an understanding where everything came from. A new thought did not come from "nothing", it came from some stimuli that led the individual down the path of enlightenment.

Example: A tree falls in the woods with nobody around...does it make a sound? The correct answer is no, it does not make a sound. Now it does produce all the conditions for sound to be made, but without ears to "hear" it (translate the stimuli) there was no sound...simply a ripple in the air that was never translated into sound by those that could process that stimuli. In the case of "creativity" just because it has never been thought of does not mean it came from "nothing"...simply it did not exist before. So just because it didn't exist before does not mean it came from nothing... it did, it was produced from conditions (something) that allowed the generation of the "new" thing.
              Last edited by BrianMyers; 05-03-2008, 13:54.

Comment

What is "new" architecture? I would say it's 95% established architecture. Some may even argue that there is no "new" architecture.

Comment

New Architecture is Anything that has not been done before. That is what we should be striving for. The New.

Comment

Even if there is "new" architecture (which I'm not sure I believe)- does that mean it is better? Or does it just sell magazines?

Comment

sells magazines, gives the architect something to lecture about, might get them a teaching position --- not really understood by the public

Comment

New Architecture is Anything that has not been done before. That is what we should be striving for. The New.
                        When was the last time you saw an architecture that had not been done before? Even if you have something that looks new, you are building on a knowledge base that is as old as men have been building. I think "new" architecture is more limited by technology than ideas.

I don't think that a "new" architecture is what we should be striving for. While we should encourage innovation, we should strive for good architecture. I don't think that sculpture is necessarily good architecture. Not all form has substance.

Comment

Sted,
                          I think you need to qualify your ideas before we can speculate on your thoughts. It would appear that you have completed research and are trying to prove a point, but what is the context of your arguement?

Comment

Could you give me an example of something that fits in what you classify as "new architecture"?
                            And could you elaborate on what makes it "new" and why is it better?
                            Thanks in advance.

I for one don't think being new is a prerequisite for good and interesting architecture. Architecture needs to give a proper answer to a given problem, and that's what makes it good. It's not something to hang on a wall and just contemplate.
                            Last edited by vOid; 14-03-2008, 19:58.

Comment

So we negate all that we have learned and each design is establishing completely new principles and ideas? Completely absurd. Let me know when you establish the principles/technology to get us out of the caves and into a built environment.

All that we are is based on compounded/shared experiences and knowledge. You can't go from point A to point B if you do not have any means/knowledge of getting there. What does "New Architecture" look like?
                              Last edited by Jagular; 14-03-2008, 22:49.

Comment

Ok New Architecture. Well you could start with straight lines. Where do straight lines come from? Utalizing Circles cones cylinders pyramids.How about starting to design exclusively with squares. New Materials are always being invented and new systems of building are born.
                                Then if one wants to go to extremes!
                                How about a house that is able to sink down into the ground and then raise back up again with hydraulic jack’s. Or buildings that can relocate themselves by using rotor blades or jet engines to move to another site. What if Architecture was able to defy gravity and fly off to the extremities of the universe.
                                What then!

Comment

Working...
                                X