X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simon seasons View Post
    I wish I had as much free time from finishing the build on my house, as you guys.
    when thats done then, hope you can join in and also maybe post the project up on the forum

Comment

I was being ironic. Architecture means "chief builder".

My thread RB2 in real projects is pretty chockers already, check it out.

Comment

I can't seem to define what good architecture is because a lot of the good stuff is subjective according to people's taste - good architecture is often well made, well sited, well put together, well this and well done - but this blog seems to define the bad very well... http://badbritisharchitecture.blogspot.com/ - i like it.

Comment

We have all seen great architecture being built. Iconic in some forms, responsive in others, locally relevant etc., etc. Behind all these I feel there must be an unbiased thought. We tend to look at a project or a client or a location with a bias. That changes our perception of whats good or bad for the project.

Many great architects planners could do a lot of great work because they could work with an unbiased mind. They had a clear vision of their goals.

This is an argument put forth which needs further discussion.

PS : I have found that among my friends, & fellow architects who are in an elite circle with me in my area, these ideas cannot be understood by them. They are biased by their upbringing, schooling & years of practicing.
          Last edited by ragin; 08-03-2012, 16:10.

Comment

Unbiased mind? I don't think so... the great work comes about with with a rigorous set of guiding principles - from Zaha to Gehry to FLW to Laurie Baker, each have their own sets of core thought to the architecture, and often don't deviate much till they hit on the next great language that interests them. That to me is very biased.

I agree with your 1st sentence though. and the toughest are locally responsive / adaptive resuse projects - Lotus Praxis Initiative's hotel in Jodhpur is a prime example of superb and excellent architecture, but their bias was to localize everything because they had to.

Comment

Yea, they may be biased in their theory & practice of architecture, but they aren't biased by the places, people involved, maybe even budget, that sort of thing.

Comment

Actually I think having biases produces richer architecture. I dont think I can imagine an architecture as a product of an unbiased mind. Maybe you could explain a bit more about the idea? ragin

Comment

Designing with an Unbiased mind? That’s interesting see “Power of Now” and thought identification maybe that is why there is no general definition of architecture, it is how you see it.

Corbusier saw social housing as architecture before professional architects saw it as architecture, it used to be seen as just for institutions and rich people.

Maybe it is best left undefined

Comment

Working...
                  X