X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Gehry's University of Technology Sydney Business School

I have a dear friend who lives very near to this site, so we agreed that he'd photograph, and I would post here, images of the new Gehry building as it rises out of the ground.
    For your enjoyment, I will post them as they arrive and hopefully over the next couple of years, we will amass a visual diary of the construction and completion of yet another building by a modern master.

The site is an old inner city dairy building and is now completely cleared. When I get a bit more time I'll try and label the images more thoroughly but it'd be great if anyone else wants to, to upload google images and a site plan or other pertinent correspondence and news articles, and commentary, as I don't have a lot of time to pursue that sort of thing. Hope you enjoy and thanks for anyone's help in advance.

Attachment

Attachment

Attachment
    Attached Files
    Last edited by simon seasons; 24-01-2010, 04:50.

This can become an interesting thread, 'watching' a Gehry design beiing build!

However I couldn't find much info about the design. Here a scan of the Sydney Morning Herald with some info and a miniature 3d-image and here a little article on butterpaper.com

Comment

Thread moved to the appropriate location and renamed.
      BTW Simon, it's Gehry not Ghery mate.

Comment

Simon, You might be getting a little ahead of yourself.

The University of Technology, Sydney (UTS) has engaged world-renowned architect Frank Gehry to develop a Concept Design for the University’s new Faculty of Business building as part of its UTS Campus Master Plan.

UTS Website

Comment

Thanks Swamke. I'm a little bit dyslectic I thunk. Correction made.

Thanks Tim, but the article I read in Sydney a couple of weeks ago pretty strongly suggested that he'd been commissioned and my friend (doing a doctorate at UTS) was fairly certain it's a goer as well. Does anyone else know what might be going onto this site? I am sure the site is earmarked for the new UTS Business faculty.

I'll just have to cancel all this if it's wrong I suppose. Won't be the first time.

BTW Did you see the Kerry O'Brien interview? The thing I love about Gehry is his frankness
          Last edited by simon seasons; 24-01-2010, 04:59.

Comment

Originally posted by simon seasons View Post
            Does anyone else know what might be going onto this site? I am sure the site is earmarked for the new UTS Business faculty.
            The site was (or still is?) being used for the construction of Energy Australia's City West Cable Tunnel. Once they're done, UTS and Gehry will be free to have their way with it.

Comment

I was thinking of starting a new thread "Frank Gehry, genius or mere opportunist" until I found this thread so I guess this is as good a place to discuss this.

I'm going to start with something controversial and say that I think he's overrated and has simply been cashing in on his curvy, expressionist Bilbao Guggenheim style ever since he built it. In fact you could almost say that he has simply built variations on the same building ever since.

I liked some of his earlier work which was intellectually interesting. His Venice Beach house has something compelling about it for me. Most of his modern stuff though is plain derivative IMHO. Well-done, but still derivative. His Bard College in particular I think is a bit of a joke. Kind of like sticking some curvy titanium ribbons on top of a conventional building.

I think he has become intellectually lazy and a victim of his own success.

Now, where is my tin hat?

Comment

Originally posted by bigstick View Post
                I was thinking of starting a new thread "Frank Gehry, genius or mere opportunist" until I found this thread so I guess this is as good a place to discuss this.

I'm going to start with something controversial and say that I think he's overrated and has simply been cashing in on his curvy, expressionist Bilbao Guggenheim style ever since he built it. In fact you could almost say that he has simply built variations on the same building ever since.

I liked some of his earlier work which was intellectually interesting. His Venice Beach house has something compelling about it for me. Most of his modern stuff though is plain derivative IMHO. Well-done, but still derivative. His Bard College in particular I think is a bit of a joke. Kind of like sticking some curvy titanium ribbons on top of a conventional building.

I think he has become intellectually lazy and a victim of his own success.

Now, where is my tin hat?

I'm not sure that's really "controversial"?

I thought that was the accepted view of his work?

But in saying that... I think there is a lot of architects that produce variations of one building or style, yet never seem to get hammered as much as Gehry does...

Comment

I don't know that he is over rated considering the stick that he does get for what is his design method. Have you seen the video of him crumpling paper and getting his assistants to turn it into 3D computer models?

I personally think that's a bizarre (and wrong) way to design a building, but there is a certain level of non conventionality that I think is important in it's own right, because of what it has allowed other architects to achieve. His adherence to his 'idea' combined with his down to earth acceptance and willingness that others must be involved and recognized for that, for 'his' idea to be realized, is also another important lesson. That he is an opportunist and a genius at it is more my assessment, because without taking opportunities as they arise, how would anything get done?
                  Last edited by simon seasons; 28-01-2010, 23:05.

Comment

I confess to not having read a lot of criticism of Gehry, just a lot of fanboi adulation. It's heartening that not everyone is taken in by his slick, compelling architectural visions.

I think over the years many architects have evolved their own unconventional ways of working (like Peter Eisenmann for example) and I think this is fine. I can reconcile my view of Gehry's way of working as analogous to Abstract Expressionism in art.

I am happy with most of what he does and how he approaches it, but the constant twisted planes and ribbons of titanium not matter what the building type or where it is located seems to me to be utterly unacceptable.

Comment

Beavering away quietly it seems.

http://www.architectureanddesign.com...gn=newsletters

Comment

Frank Gehry, Craig Webb & Roy Green | UTS conversation

Comment

Thanks Kevin. Are there any results from these 2009 conversations available to see yet?

Comment

it is beautiful i think

Comment

Here's a recent clipping from the inner west courier my friend sent me (no date attached sorry and the site doesn't seem to possess an archive trawl). To me, it's main gist says his "concept design has been six months in the making but no pictures will be released for another year" so here's a nice portrait instead.

Attachment
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X