• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Sydney] Done House - Glenn Murcutt

Done House
    Mosman, Sydney, NSW
    1988-91

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...01198&t=h&z=20

Similar to Glenn’s other houses in an urban context, careful attention was given to providing privacy from neighbours and the street whilst giving the sense of isolation in nature. The use of solid masonry walls illuminated by, and contrasting the cast sky connote Glenn’s early travels through the Greek islands. Punctuation of the exterior walls frame select views over the harbour and surrounding greenery, whilst on the street frontages, high windows are used to fill interior spaces with natural light whilst providing the privacy and intimacy common to Glenn’s work. - from the ozetecture website

This is a continuation of my original posts from the 2003 Glenn Murcutt Masterclass. See this post for more.This residence has a wonderful sense of privacy for being in the center of Sydney. Skinny-Dipping in the middle of the day is not a problem.

There’s an interesting story that goes with this residence. Originally it was to be painted all white. However, the local zoning boards didn’t think it would fit the neighborhood aesthetics, so required that the house not be white. Glenn and his client decided to fight the decision and it went all the way up to the Supreme Court. The court ruled with the city and stated the house “could not be painted white.” The client, being an artist loving a fight, decided with Glenn to paint the house bright yellow and blue. MUCH more obnoxious than the white ever would have been. However, they did what the court said, not white. After two years the owner had the house re-painted, which does not require a permit, so it is now white.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SWANK-E; 27-10-2009, 02:30.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Drawings
                        Attached Files

Comment

The original blue and yellow paint scheme.
                          Attached Files

Comment

guess who.. thanks for your posts, i think they help murcutt fans(who have never been into one of his buildings..like me) understand his buildings more, your photos tell more about the building, layout and construction i think than my swish looking black and red murcutt book....

well done. thanks alot for these posts.. i think glenn has a definite creaft in his buildings, this one looks a fair bit smaller than i had previously imagined it... nevertheless the ,meditteraniean atmosphere courtyard and scaling i very effective.. it;d be great to see what murcutt could do on a tight budget..

his buildings while often construted from tradiotionally cheaper materials, custom orb galv. steel. plywood etc, yet his clients like done, and others live on these spectacular properties with sumptuos views, often a helipad can be seen in the background...

thanks guess who, keep it coming....

Comment

Thanks a bunch Gueswho!, where can I see more detailed plans?

Comment

Working...
                              X