• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Ronchamp] Chapelle de Notre Dame du Haut - Le Corbusier

Chapelle de Notre Dame du Haut, Ronchamp
    1951 - 1953
    Le Corbusier

Ronchamp is about 30 minutes from Basel-Mulhouse airport. Follow signs for Mulhouse, then Belfort then N19 to Ronchamp. There is a steep road leading from the village up the hill to the Chapel (follow the tourists!)

The chapel is open to the public during the summer. Details on the official website.

Corbusier's pilgrim chapel replaced another destroyed in fighting in WW2. The sprayed concrete finish, used on both in and outside surfaces, covers a variety of structural armatures in concrete with rubble (of the old church) between them.

The building is visible from distance heightening the sense of expectation as you get closer. At the gates is a typical rural french house serving as entry desk / tiny exhibition space. My understanding is that this will eventually be replaced by the new Renzo Piano developments.

The main building has two convex and two concave walls. You arrive from the south and are faced by the thickest concave one - nearly 10 foot thick near the door. There is a door here and explanation on a large concrete block. The windows on this wall, apparently random but positioned according to modular proportions.

At the west a gargoyle protrudes bringing rain water down to a pool with a geometric sculpture in unfinished concrete.

You enter the cave-like entrance from the North. The interior is characterized by the contrast between the darkness and piercings of light. There are three wonderful light towers, one whose blood-red painted interior was particularly vivid when I visited. Inside, the chapel is simple with simple wooden pews on the south side. (Photography is not permitted inside hence no interior shots posted)

Outside, to the east, is an open-air altar under a protruding roof. About 40m further east is a pyramid.

To the south in a simpler Corbusier building of 1952, the 'Maison des Pelerins'. This has rooms and dining facilities for pilgrims. To the south of this building are a line of tables designed to modular proportions.

I had waited 20 years to visit. I can only say the whole place is magical and for me magnitudes better than I expected.

Wikipedia page

View from south east showing two concave sides
    Attached Files

Comment

View from east-south-east showing altar
      Attached Files

Comment

Detail, external alter on east side
        Attached Files

Comment

Painted door to South
          Attached Files

Comment

Block, next to door with description
            Attached Files

Comment

Rain gargoyle looking North
              Attached Files

Comment

Rain gargoyle looking south
                Attached Files

Comment

statue on pyramid to east
                  Attached Files

Comment

Maison des Pelerins from north-east
                    Attached Files

Comment

Maison des Pelerins from west-north-west showing modular tables
                      Attached Files

Comment

Well, I just made a work on this chapel at Uni. and I found a great resource online (great for anybody who can't afford the trip to France like me...)

Here goes - Ronchamp Chapel Virtual Reality....

http://www.learn.columbia.edu/ha/rel...360/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by chandrew View Post
                          Photography is not permitted inside hence no interior shots posted
                          Since when has that ever stopped an architect?

We were there 11 years ago.....I'll find my interior photos at home and post them soon. It was definitely a magical experience

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                            Since when has that ever stopped an architect?
                            exactly, here is my set.

First one... the approach from the town of Ronchamp
                            Attached Files

Comment

The famous text book shot
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X