Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A week in Avignon, any must sees?

Hi,
    we're going to Avignon for a week, mainly to relax, read a book, enjoy some street theater with the kids and have some pastis from time to time :rolleyes:
    But of course we'll take time to visit the area in between.

We'll probably go to Les Rencontres d'Arles, with a load of photography exhibitions. I've also planned a visit to Marseilles to see the Unité d'Habitation.

Any other must sees or events in the neighbourhood? Doesn't need to be contemporary, doesn't even have to be architecture, as long as it's worth a visit!
    I've seen Foster and Nouvel in Nîmes already, so not really planning to go back there, unless I've missed other great stuff out there.

thanks

I vaguely remember visiting Avignon to see some romanesque churches and
    the palace of the popes, but I guess that's just town stuff?

And of course the song - my kids have the cd
    Last edited by gorgon; 19-07-2007, 06:53.

Comment

If you like theater and such, there's the FESTIVAL D'AVIGNON going on till the 26th July.

Comment

If you want to see some nice modern architecture then I recomend the Musée de Préhistoire des Gorges du Verdon designed by Foster and Partners.

Its not too far from Avignon. Probably about 1.5 hours drive but through amazing countryside and the famous and beautiful Gorges du Verdon (Like the Grand Canyon but just a bit more intimate )

You can some pictures of it here.

http://www.fosterandpartners.com/Pro...1/Default.aspx

Comment

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!
          We got back last Sunday and really got a great time

Originally posted by gorgon View Post
          I vaguely remember visiting Avignon to see some romanesque churches and
          the palace of the popes, but I guess that's just town stuff?

And of course the song - my kids have the cd
          I had visited the palace of the popes before, so we didn't go back there. We did visit some romanesque places, but not in Avignon.
          We visited the abbey of Montmajour near Arles, a really amazing place. We just passed it from a distance on the way to Arles and it looked fascinating, so we decided to go for a closer look. Also visited the Saint Trophime church in Arles. The Chloister next doors, which is supposed to be beautiful was closed 5 minutes before I arrived. Negotiating didn't really work...

And the song, well... that should be sous le Pont as they were actually dancing under the bridge!
          Maybe a mashup with the red hot chili peppers can do the job -
          Under the bridge downtown, on y danse, on y danse

Comment

Originally posted by MICHEL View Post
            If you like theater and such, there's the FESTIVAL D'AVIGNON going on till the 26th July.
            We did some street theater. More circus stuff than theater, but mostly quite impressive, certainly for our 11 months old son. All the juggling and tricks got him in a trance
            Theater was not really an option as we didn't want our company as babysitters. It was their holiday as well..

Comment

Originally posted by papanix View Post
              If you want to see some nice modern architecture then I recomend the Musée de Préhistoire des Gorges du Verdon designed by Foster and Partners.

Its not too far from Avignon. Probably about 1.5 hours drive but through amazing countryside and the famous and beautiful Gorges du Verdon (Like the Grand Canyon but just a bit more intimate )

You can some pictures of it here.

http://www.fosterandpartners.com/Pro...1/Default.aspx
              Good suggestion, I put it on the agenda for the way back home. As it was a terrible day to take the highway back home, we decided to take the smaller roads (N & D) and visit some stuff before driving back at night. The Gorges du Verdon didn't make it in the end, it was too far out of the way, so we decided to go to Firminy. We arrived there really late due to traffic jams (and sleeping way too long). Here the negiotiating did work and we still had about 10 minutes inside the chapel.
              I have a bunch of pictures from the chapel interior and the exterior of all the Corbu buildings in Firminy. I'll post them as soon as I find the time!

Comment

Other visits:

Unité d'Habitation in Marseille (I'll add some pictures to the thread soon)
                Pont du Gard, where Shigeru Ban set up a temporary bridge (story and pictures later)
                Driving around in the Camargue where we found an amazing improvised village 'at the end of the world'

Comment

Look forward to the photographs!

Comment

Working...
                  X