X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Bordeaux] La Maison des Arts - Massimiliano Fuksas

The campus is quite difficult to navigate as there is no structure to the layout of the buildings, but many people should know the building (La grande boite verte!). Basically take the tramway B towards Pessac and get off at Montaigne Montague, turn left (from the direction the tram was going in), keep walking and you should hit it.

This building is on the university campus in Bordeaux (actually in Pessac). I walked past it every day on my way to school for a year and it never ceased to intrigue me. Everyone had an opinion of it - mostly negative. I chose the building for a study that examined how the architect's stated intentions were actually experienced in the building. Basically we dissected Fuksas' architectural statement (it is on his website www.fuksas.it) and analysed it in terms of the actual experience of the building. Our conclusion was that it was a case where an architect had had an idea for a powerful object that was not in the slightest way thought through in terms of the building's occupation (or it was post-rationalised without success). In pretty much every single way the building performs disastrously: acoustics (raw concrete, cavernous - the echoes are unbelievable and it is a teaching space), lighting, layout, way finding, colour scheme, safety... except for its intrigue as a piece of sculpture that changes with the weather and managed to entertain me for a year!

The box on top is the 'radio campus.' The radio announcers felt they were in a prison!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cjm; 23-03-2006, 14:04.

Approach from the other end
    Attached Files

Comment

One of the glass "halles" that slices the box
      Attached Files

Comment

The other halle
        Attached Files

Comment

Sunset
          Attached Files
          Last edited by SWANK-E; 23-03-2006, 13:44.

Comment

Side view
            Attached Files

Comment

Inside a teaching space. You couldn't conduct even a whispered conversation!
              Attached Files

Comment

Interior of main halle
                Attached Files

Comment

Another interior
                  Attached Files

Comment

This building is like Jessica Simpson. Not much going on inside and completely worthless, but not bad to look at.

Comment

Tell us more about your visit into Jessica Simpson. Any pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by MICHEL
                        Tell us more about your visit into Jessica Simpson. Any pictures?
                        Just do a google image search, yeah, I took those!

Comment

Working...
                        X