France

http://www.musee-picasso.fr/

Métro :
    Ligne 1 - Saint-Paul
    Ligne 8 - Saint-Sébastien Froissart
    Ligne 8 - Chemin Vert

Bus :
    29 - 96 - 69 - 75

open 9.30 - 17.30/18.00, closed on tuesdays.

Google map location - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...6&iwloc=A&pw=2

Et voila encore thanks to pushpullbar recommendations, and further photographic enticements from Swank-e,

The charming musee is housed within L'Hotel Sale (1659), located in everyone's favourite Marais district. It really is pure indulgence walking those seductive lanes, especially while munching on a tarte au framboises..

Simounet won a competition to refurbish the building into a museum, which opened in 1985. As has already been said, he did a great job. The design is a sensitive response to the original building as well as an architectural interpretation of Picasso's paintings, a perfect encasement and frame for viewing. A real pleasure to walk through, total detail heaven.

1st pic is the entry facade, hidden from street view, you walk through a wall into a yard, through the right wing, a beautiful foyer area i don't have photos of

2nd pic is the garden facade, there is a very sculptural entrance by Simounet inside at this facade, also no pics.

plan off dk images
    Attached Files

[Paris] Musee Picasso

While i was there, an installation by Daniel Buren was on. A mirror wall went through the whole building.
    After ticketing, you ascend the original grand escalier to start the exhibition.
    Attached Files

Comment

Then you go up some ramps through this space,
      ramp rail detail,
      exhibit A.
      You can always look back and forth between spaces through sculpted openings and gaps
      Attached Files

Comment

[Paris] Musee Picasso

art case detail,
        i apologize they are so blurry,

the craft of exit signage placement!!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Polina; 16-04-2009, 23:30.

Comment

openning though a ramp wall to see a small window to the outside
          Narrow passage between rooms
          Some serious ceiling detail,
          Attached Files

Comment

[Paris] Musee Picasso

More signage madness,
            a nice stair landing
            Attached Files

Comment

[Paris] Musee Picasso

The white paint constantly alternates between matte and gloss.
              Plasterboard often finished off with what looks like stone slabs from building's original floor.
              Attached Files

Comment

[Paris] Musee Picasso

Another beautiful passage,
                and some more of Buren's artwork

I hope more pictures will be added here! the rest of mine were too blurry.
                There was an incredible room which was my favourite, too small for my narrow angle cam. It housed a stone bust/ head and was perfectly designed for this purpose, like a shell with offset curves, mirroring the curves of the bust.

thanks again to pushpull and Swank for introducing me to this building
                Attached Files

Comment

I love this building! Definitely one of the highlights of my visit to Paris a few years back. The interior is an exquisite juxtaposition of old and new. Thank you for posting!

Comment

I quite like the use of space inside. Definitely a must see when in Paris.

Comment

I am glad you enjoyed this building. I shall add my photos sometime soon.

Comment

In my opinion this is one of the best exhibition / museum buildings in the world. The experience and story is fully integrated with the architecture and all with such an understated and elegant response to the brief. Thanks for posting

Comment

Working...
                        X